EV RE20 output transformer info

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christopantz

Hi,

I’m working on refoaming an old EV-RE20, and in the process I snapped a wire right where it exits the transformer, and there isnt enough wire left to solder a new one on. I’m hoping to buy a new transformer but can’t find any info on it. The transformer in my mic is marked “15359 486-0312”.

Im wondering if anyone has any info, or can point me toward a suitable replacement?

have you asked EV?
Yes, although couldn’t get an answer from them — in the service manual it says the individual components of the part that houses the transformer and pcb aren’t field repairable. Waiting to hear back from them on if they can sell me the whole assembly.

Probably, You can only order the full cartridge (capsule+transformer)
So thats an option

Another option is to try to unwind 1 turn of the transformer, they you would have enough wire outside to be able to solder it or to extend it

Full Compass can order item # F.01U.110.744, "Mic Element for PL20 and RE20" for $366.83, which of course is only $82 less than a brand new mic. IIRC, since Bosch bought EV it's now a flat-rate fee of something like $275 for all microphone repairs, which by comparison would be a great deal IF that indeed covers cartridge replacement (which I doubt).

The transformer assembly (transformer + plastic housing + switches etc.) used to be available as an EV part, I ordered it for my RE20. It is separate from the capsule assembly.

Back