F.A.O. PC Gurus

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahib

About two years ago my office PC got slower and slower. Started not finding certain drivers and eventually one day did not start at all. It was running on XP.

I brought in my home PC which run on XP too and it also started to do the same and a couple of months ago,  one morning I had a black screen saying can't find such and such drivers. And RIP.

I had bought a second hand Dell from e-bay which run on XP and worked like a bullet. I ignored the software update (XP) message for a while but then last week I clicked on to update. It did. It is not only as slow as the others now but also playing strange games. For example I backed up the folders from the dead PC's hard drive into one folder and called it BACKUP. Now when I open that folder it gives me a message saying "To help protect your computer windows is closing this program" and closes it down. Whereas I open the same folder on the new PC that I bought without any problem. The new PC is Windows 8 and I hate it but that is a different story.

To me it sounds like updating the operating system did something to the machine,  but what do you think?

Hi Cemal,

You need to turn off data execution prevention.

Here's how : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875351

Cheers

Rob

> updating the operating system did something to the machine

It does; but what you describe sounds like an infection.

> I ignored the software update (XP) message for a while

That's one way to invite infection. Windows (everything) has bugs which hackers can use to infect your PC. Shortly after the hackers find a crack, MS may issue a patch. Similar for Java, Adobe, Flash. Not installing patches extends the time the hackers have to break into your machine.

Another possibility is strangers getting into your Wi-Fi.

Rob's DEP theory may be valid because it uses that exact wording. However it seems strange for this to happen recently.

PRR,

Two previous machines had McAfee on them. Particularly the last one was on max because of the parental control to stop my son wandering into wrong places.

ick...

get rid of mcaffee. Nothing lags a computer faster. Grab windows 7 and microsoft security essentials and you'll be golden. I used to be an XP nut as well. One day I decided it was time to up to a 64bit OS and went win7, haven't missed XP one bit.

Home pc has Windows7 and is use friendly.  The new machine I bought has Windows 8 but I hate it. Changes are too traumatic for me. Same for Office 356. The trial period has expired and  it turns out it is £79.00 per year subscription.

sahib said:
Home pc has Windows7 and is use friendly.  The new machine I bought has Windows 8 but I hate it. Changes are too traumatic for me. Same for Office 356. The trial period has expired and  it turns out it is £79.00 per year subscription.

I don't understand why anyone would want to pay Micro$oft for an office suite when there are plenty of free alternatives available that do everything and more that the average user needs. Check out LibreOffice:

http://www.libreoffice.org/

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back