Fairchild mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't see the input transformers in the pictures - it would be cool to know what they are. It's probably a one-off or one of a few assembled by Robins (whoever that is) from Fairchild components. I'd want to know if he has documentation for the busses and summing networks. I don't know for sure, but I'd be concerned that it might be slightly misleading to call it a 'Fairchild' console. I don't think Fairchild ever built complete mixers like that. It could be very good sounding but I think the price is high for a mystery mixer.

yeah, but it sure does look cool. I guess a DIY mixer is not out of the question. nice configuration too. 16 channel 8 buss. Simple EQ, nothing else.

Mark

hmmm. the knobs remind of of other fairchild gear I have seen and I do remember hearing about fairchilf making small broadcast consoles. For me it would have to have direct out as well just to be able to record 16 mics at once. Supposedly the only thing wrong with it is buss 2 not working. But yeah it is definately beautiful.

It doesn´t looks to be an easy service..., but it can be done.

I think the price is nice. Probably the input transformers are also UTC, like the output ones. Maybe ouncers? I love UTC ouncers...

How many mixers in that size are modular? I can only think of one off the top of my head and that was an old API. Come to think of it some of the old small neves were like that too. Oh well most in that size are not. I used to have to work on mackie mixers over at the shop I was working for. nightmare. Everything is on one big PCB and in order to go under the hood to fix things you have to remove every knob and the nut attaching the pot to the surface. Its a good waste of an hour.

Ive used some fairchild solid state stuff and dont have much positive to say about it. For the opening bid, that is probably a fair price for that thing if it sounds ok and is working. Since it says fairchild on it, its a good investment no matter how bad it might sound, however, with a20's I bet it sounds ok. The stuff I used was just small and boring sounding and had no headroom at all. Thats a really nice and simple design for a mixer though, if it had a three band eq, might be the perfect minimal design.

dave

You know I recall hearing Tom Dowd say that if an Engineer uses an Eq while recording he would fire that person. I find myself using filters more then an EQ especially while recording. so the fact it only has a 2 band EQ doesn't bother me. I like the look well built. I still wish it had direct outs. Which brings me to ask
much we were talking on mic pre design, What would you do if you was to design a console outside of the usual console stuff?
For me, it would have:
1.Variable impedience on the mic input much like a vipre or Eurika mic pre
2. the Mic pre should have a corse and fine adjustment for gain
3. 4 band full parametric Eq on all 4 bands not just the medium 2 bands
4. Eq and filters to sidechan to channel compressor compressor
5. patchpoint between Mie Pre out and Eq which would allow patching from the Mic Pre directly to tape for shortst and cleanest audio path.
would also do insert sends but could be pre or post comp and pre or post EQ.
6. moving fader automation on all faders small/large
7. EQ and filter(selectable per channel) to SC of dynamics

thats all I can think of at the moment more to follow.

Latest posts

Back