FEELER: LA-3A - Dual Mono/Stereo 2U Design (AKA The SA-3A) - PAGE 6 TO PRE-ORDER

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as if!, two in one day,looks sweet. a 2u stereo would be awesome i have been going over all the LA3a stuff and trying to work out if its feasible for me to work it out.
this takes away the pain :)
although i wont rush either of ya, i think most here are in the same boat, definitely not drowning in moola today anyway :)

Meathands said:
Holy schmoly!  By the "infamous mod" do you mean one of the various things people have done to lower the noise floor?

Yup, that's the one.  There's really not much to it.  Reality is I would think everyone will keep it in the mod position (why wouldn't you), but in trying to keep it faithful to the original I left the ability to put it into "classic" mode as well.

Mike, you're gonna cost me a lot money. The taxman'll suspect I've got a secret account in the USA where I'm transferring lots of money too...  ;D

Or I'll look at it from the bright side; you're gonna save me a lot of money ;) Definitely interested.

OMG this is great!
I almost posted on the 500 series thread asking for a 19" version but I thought that would be rude. ;-)
I also saw you're post Ruckus & was hoping you also had one in the works! hehe

Anyways, ya I'd love a dual La3a!! I've never used a real one but have been really
digging the Waves CLA 3a & was looking to see if anyone put a DIY project together.

Going to be a busy fall/winter!  ;D

Sean

Tsane said:
Mike, you're gonna cost me a lot money. The taxman'll suspect I've got a secret account in the USA where I'm transferring lots of money too...  ;D

Or I'll look at it from the bright side; you're gonna save me a lot of money ;) Definitely interested.

LOL

I think the tax man is going to have a fit when he see's what i'm going to try and claim :p

Any ETA on this? Also, full kits, partial kits, pcbs and cases? Just the usual questions :p

TheGuitarist said:
Any ETA on this? Also, full kits, partial kits, pcbs and cases? Just the usual questions :p

I'll have a better idea in a couple weeks.  I don't expect any of the hold ups I encountered with the sb4k, I made life a little easier for myself with this one.  I've been working on this since august (in between the sb4k).  Originally I was going to unveil it in a couple weeks when the proto was completed.  Ironically, a 500 version was almost completed as well lol :(  I did alot of legwork & research and had made arrangments to provide the critical stuff (original iron / NPN pair) with the boards, still moving forward with that plan.  Another catch is matching the NPN's.  I personally don't think just HFE matching them is good enough, and curve tracing, etc is a real pita, and you'll never get the numbers as good as a matched pair on the same die.  So I'm experimenting with the new MAT12's which just hit production.  The catch there is they're quite expensive (almost $20), but they're (on paper) seem to be the most superior matched pair ever with extremely low distortion and .5% hfe matching.  Good news is there's only 1 per channel.  Now, the question there is - is it worth it?  Is it overkill?  I don't know yet, I'll know more when I start testing, it's the only way to know for sure.  I have 2 samples coming in tomorrow.  They're also not available anywhere yet - you have to get them direct from AD, and they won't sell to just anyone it seems, but if they do show obvious advantage and there's enough interest I can provide them with the boards to those interested.

Ptown will be providing pcb component kits/cases as far as I know.

Another thing - I don't have an original unit to compare - if there's anyone out there that does (or reissue), please let me know.  I need someone to assist me with beta testing.

Full kits, meters, chassis will be available through me, front panels as well unless Mike is doing that...

We haven't nailed down all the details yet, but most if not all needed items will be available between the two of us.

The full burrito this time!

ruckus328 said:
a dual mono unit is going to be surprisingly affordable.

oh.. it's not your box that's gonna put me over the top, its the 96! other pieces of gear that are sitting in the shop right now  ;)

Back