Fender Bassman Compact - Death cap?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember my Grandads old Bush radio set , had beautiful chunky back lit dials , was only your usual transformerless mains set with the heaters on a string with big resistors , two pin connection , no ground , all chassis metal work was double insulated from touch unless you had small fingers , I remember making contact with the grub screws holding on the dials , it was exactly as you describe Bill an 'imperceptible tingle' . I remember reefing out a tube from the back of the TV set another time and hiding it , took the old boy a little while to figure out it was me playing a prank , the back cover wasnt left unsecure on the set anymore after that :)

Just FYI, the leakage current limit for equipment originally equipped with a 2-prong power cord is only 0.75 mA,
This is not the case with the amp cited in post #5, where the 0.05uF cap results in about 2.5mA.
The same equipment used in Europe would result in nearly 5mA, which, indeeed is not enough to kill, but is enough to numb the lips if they come in contact with a grounded mic, making a singer unable to do their thing for a couple of minutes.

Latest posts

Back