Fender Super Reverb Power Transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is about the regulation percentage, a nice core with some thick primary wire will have good regulation numbers.

A transformer with poor regulation will have a 6.3 volt wind whose voltage will vary with load. So let's say you hokkthe XFMR up to a lighter load than the label says. You might then experience an unwanted jump in heater voltage.

I recently got some small toroid power transformers from ebay wound in China and the no-load H+ was 7.3, hooked up to the tubes it dropped to 7.1
I guess that is poor regulation???? I guess the cheap material choices lead to poor regulation (but also the small size)
The transformer 6.3v is rated at 2.28 A and I was powering two 12AY7 (0.6A)
But with 1 ohm resistors in series the H+ dropped to 6.1v

Interesting!

Would be fascinating to see someone as knowledgeable as yourself dissect a Hammond 300 series (eg 370BX) one day and see what you can observe

When I was 23 and reading guitar forums, I believed that Hammond transformers were trash because that’s what guitar snobs said. I learned a little bit more and sort of challenged that assumption later on. It’d be interesting if the guitar snobs were right in the end.

I wish all power transformer manufacturers would wind power transformers with -5% and -10% windings; extra primary turns to tweak the voltage on the secondary side. I don't think I have ever seen a properly loaded transformer with a true 6.3v on the filaments when powered with the 122v out of the wall!

A few vintage units are correct when fed 110 or 115v, though.

I recently got some small toroid power transformers from ebay wound in China and the no-load H+ was 7.3, hooked up to the tubes it dropped to 7.1
I guess that is poor regulation???? I guess the cheap material choices lead to poor regulation (but also the small size)
The transformer 6.3v is rated at 2.28 A and I was powering two 12AY7 (0.6A)
But with 1 ohm resistors in series the H+ dropped to 6.1v
eesh...

By the way, I had a look at a Hammond 370BX I bought in 2020. It says "Made in Canada" on the sticker.
Checks out for other ones I have around also, Made in Canada on both a small power transformer and line transformer. That brings up a point - how official are "Made In" statements? If a PCB is made and loaded with parts in China, but assembled into a complete product, is it technically "made in usa" because American hands put the screws in a chassis? (vs manufactured, assembled, etc. Seems like marketing can always find a way to put similar sounding stamps on things)

Latest posts

Back