Fernseh Tv modules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

I just got a bunch of Fernseh  I 16 VTB  modules , possibly also known as the FW 40 . I can find a little  bit about the company history ,seems their main business was TV equipment for various German Broadcasters.
The main reason I got these is their encased in Danner type rack modules similar to the V72 and other classic mic amps from the era . They'll make great enclosures for my future projects complete with the usual 12 pin touchel connectors.
Before I strip out the original circuits in these I was hoping to maybe get some schematics .Each unit seems to have its own mains supply with a discrete germanium regulator ,Valvo OC26 based,and then 6 sets of what looks like oscillator circuits of some kind ,as is customary in German broadcast equipment the engineering and build quality is astonishing.
So maybe some of our German contributors here know more about these or could possibly point me in the direction of someone who does. I just want to make sure I dont end up stripping out parts such as the power supply which could be of use for some for the projects I want to build into them. Ive opened up one or two already and the mains fuse seems to be blown in them ,but it shouldnt be too difficult to get one powered up and  see whats going on inside .
Thanks again.

I cannot tell you anything about the modules you have but I do know a little about Fernseh. Back in the 70s at Neve I worked on a project to provide talkback facilities for RTE, the Irish television service. They were installing a video switcher made by Fernseh which was a bit like a huge video patch board.  Fernseh provided auxiliary contacts on each video switch. These were used to enable producer's talkback, for example. to be routed automatically to the cameras assigned to him.

Cheers

Ian

Thank you kindly for your replies gentlemen .

You'll find a couple of pics posted below Holger,

Thats interesting Ian ,
I was aware that RTE had quite a large amount of Neve gear back in the 70's alright , they eventually disposed of all this great equipment ,luckily I did manage to get my hands on a pair of Studer C37's ,ex RTE stock.
So the story goes ,when it came time for the broadcaster to update its Neve consoles ,many of these beauties were simply put out in a skip for disposal ,apparently a Dublin equipment rental company of which Dave  'Edge' of U2 was owner was tipped off ,they simply turned up in a truck and carted off several large 80 series consoles ,which were subsequently cut up, rack mounted
and made available for hire  :mad:
The powers that be here have always been generous with the tax payers money ,but I'll save my political ranting and raving for the brewery instead  ;)
Thanks once again,

Attachments

• P1010128.JPG
    P1010128.JPG
    293.8 KB · Views: 18
Heres a pic of the internals ,
the main board you see here is mirror imaged at the other side of the enclosure , insulation and screening carefully placed between the two .

Attachments

• P1010127.JPG
    P1010127.JPG
    337.6 KB · Views: 43
Blurry picture, I can only guess that this is not an audio module because it has no transformers. Transformers where used in most audio modules at that time.
How many of the Tuchel pins are connected except the two or three pins for mains?

Eleven pins are connected in total ,all except pin 1B
Pins 6 A+B carry mains voltage
All the smaller transistors are Cosem SFT229 ,some guy on ebay seems to think their worth 37euros for three and recomends them for making fuzz boxes,
There must be at least 20 in each module ,maybe I've discovered hidden treasure after all  :p
Thanks again,

Tubetec said:
Eleven pins are connected in total ,all except pin 1B
Pins 6 A+B carry mains voltage
All the smaller transistors are Cosem SFT229 ,some guy on ebay seems to think their worth 37euros for three and recomends them for making fuzz boxes,
There must be at least 20 in each module ,maybe I've discovered hidden treasure after all  :p
Thanks again,

I was going to say "keep those germanium transistors!" but you already figured that out.  With regards to ebay, I can ask $100 for a can of beans but if you search the completed listings you will find the same can for $0.99.

Ahahaha Rippe,
yep theres a lot of confidence tricksters on the bay alright ,
Anyway yeah I'll keep those transistors alright ,and hopefully find a use for them .

Latest posts

Back