figuring how caps will sound by specs?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh boy, then we can expect the price to go through the roof.. as if it already wasn't..

another question..

since our phantom usually runs around 48v and rarely soars above that, I assume that a 50v cap will be ok even with fast transients above 50v.. I understand that the rule of thumb of 20% higher is always in effect and the caps should be 63V or higher.. stay with me here I AM getting to a point one of these days :green: I have also read that caps are more linear passing audio when they are run closer to their rated voltages.. Is this correct? so basing my little knowledge on this unproven advice, a 50v cap would be more linear than one with larger voltage ratings? I understand this has much to do with the thickness of the foil in the cap?

also, What about regular Rubycon caps? are they considered good for audio even if they are not the "blackgate" caps?

thanks!

Yes I have posted in the past ESR measures lower in fat and short ones. I measure almost all the caps I use or pull out of a circuit. I gave you a big hint, ref off some HFs if you can find any.

That was one of the best electro models I have used maybe my ears have learned to like them.

maybe i should undo the bypassing on my channels to see how they sound..? I'm going to get some regular rubycons@50v to see how they work.. whats the worst that could happen but blow my caps? :green: the input BJTs are protected via zeners..

I bought some blackgates recently and was told that one version of them was going to stop, but not the others IIRC. No panic.

I've also wondered if using a cap closer to its voltage rating, instead of a cap say 3x higher or more, would be more linear.

Happy Turkey!

Back