Figuring out this Site- Overview

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="amperex"]But, a group of us hear an accurate system and with ongoing improvements come to the same conclusion as to its sonic performance. We can not measure everything we hear with electronic test equipment, thus do depend upon our ears as the final instrument.[/quote]

We can measure a lot.
... BUT measuring has no bearing on what I am saying.

" ... group of us hear an accurate system
... our ears as the final instrument "

who is 'US' ?

I would completely agree with you if
'US' were either the performers or more importantly, directly involved in the recording process.
Then there would be some authority as to what is right for the re-production or re-production system.

However, if 'US' were to present a system that 'US' believes to sound good and in it's present form, is our favourite,
again I would completely agree

but this would not make it right, or correct, or more accurate

If you are making pop records (sucessfully) you might use many kinds of speakers to evaluate your work. The end-user often has a mid-fi setup. You might ignore what the ultra-accurate monitors tell you.

If you are doing Jazz, Classical or certain forms of Country, you mite want dead-honesty in your monitoring.

There is a tremendous disconnect from the original notion of "Natural Reproduction" of the early hi-fi days to what people want now in their Home Theatres.

yes !!!

and if we were to look at those specific forms of Jazz and Classical
and especially those extreme Classical notions

Nika is worth a talk to with his views on Digital recording and Grace headphone amps etc
... we could begin to narrow the discussion and maybe get to a point were correct or accurate might have meaning.

But then someone would use the word " resolution " and it would start all the arguments over the mis-use of the word when it comes to digital sampling and the higher rates.

This discussion has echos in vision monitoring with respect to Film , NTSC, PAL and the which TD monitor to use when colour balancing a Sony or a Thompson video camera and which method.

The Technical Direct is the last word when it comes to what colour is Skin or Grass.
What you do at home is your problem.

This discussion has echos in vision monitoring with respect to Film , NTSC, PAL and the which TD monitor to use when colour balancing a Sony or a Thompson video camera and which method.

Sony, and off of the face of that BBC chick on the backlit test card. There, better?

[quote author="amperex"]Your out to lunch here. No further reply from me.[/quote]
nah
not out to lunch
just a working Tech that has to deal with many situations and client requirements

from the first post of the thread
[quote author="amperex"]I have a dumb question. If mixing in a studio, the speaker monitors plus associated gear should be critical- am I correct?
...What do you use? or, is just a pair of headphones enough? What about the power amp?[/quote]

and my first response was
Conceptually an interesting topic.
Not going to answer your question directly as what I use is irrelevant.

Although mixing a musical piece is possible on headphones, most would consider a pair of speaker/monitors essential
but the amount of input channels and outboard may be more of an issue and so that may be the critical factor.
If Mixing In the Box the the amount of DSP or CPU capability and again number of playback tracks or voices may be considered critical.

It is quite possible that a Grammy has been won with only a Crown Amp and pair of NS10s with a pair of Beyer headphones
:roll:
and perhaps a pair of Auratones.
:wink:
whether these units were considered critical is probably unlikely

[quote author="amperex"]... Finally, using Scan-Speak mid-bass & Seas Excel tweeters with proper time alignment using a good crossover design finally worked.[/quote]
Some may consider the Scans as a little low brow but I think thet have some good drivers on offer

as this thread looks to be dead, which is a shame cos I did say it was conceptually an interesting topic. (perhaps better suited to the Brewery)

I'll end with a shameless plug for a
" proper time alignment using a good crossover design "

http://www.jlmaudio.com/Active%20Monitor.htm
:green:

Latest posts

Back