Finished a little side project - DIY Schnaps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_J

Hi,

a few weeks ago i finished a little DIY side project after 2 years with the help of a friend.
We made some nice pear schnaps  ;D
After 2 years in barrel now i have some nice soldering schnaps  ;D  ;D

I thought this is worth a post in brewery...

The next barrels are on their way.... ;D

Cheers.... and keep on rocking...

Attachments

• IMG_1872b.jpg
    IMG_1872b.jpg
    385.7 KB
I like DIY alcohol, I am not that enthusiastic about waiting 2 years for imbibing. I barely have the patience to wait several months for wine to finish. Brewing beer is more my speed, only weeks from from the brew pot to palate.  8)

Good thing about rolling your own is that you know exactly what is in it.

JR

Nice.

I've been brewing beer since the beginning of this year (wife got me a small batch kit for xmas), was immediately hooked on the hobby after tasting the first batch. Coincidentally, a brew supply shop opened up just around the corner from my house about the same time that I was getting started, how convenient. 8)

I identify with John about the lack of patience thing. I haven't gotten into kegging yet, so with bottle conditioning I'm looking at about a month (at least) from brewpot to belly. Plenty of wait time for me. I find it helps to get a rotation going, so I try to always have a batch fermenting, a batch conditioning in bottles, and a batch in the fridge ready for consumption at any given time. I can't always keep it up as it is pretty time consuming. I just finished the last of my Honey Rye-P.A. a few nights ago, and I still have about a week ,maybe two, before I -should- start drinking my Bourbon Dubbel. I tasted one the other night though, after one week in the bottle (long enough to carbonate). I'm pretty excited about it, looking like it will be one of my better batches once it matures. And I'll be bottling up my Breakfast Stout about the time that the Dubbel is ready. I do have a batch of a Smoked Cherry Ale in the closet that has been aging for 6 months now, but that is the longest I have had the patience for. And I brewed that one with the intention of aging it and giving it out as xmas gifts, so the suspense hasn't completely killed me. I tried one last night though, and it is coming along freakin' nicely...

Would love to get into distilling. I saw a thing on youtube where a guy made moonshine starting with a bag of livestock feed, called "sweet feed", for the mash and added a couple bags of table sugar in the boil. I was in a Tractor Supply Co. store a few weeks back and saw the sweet feed that he used - main ingredients listed were distiller's grains and molasses. At about $6-7 for a 50 lb. bag, seemed adequate to make something with high gravity. The whole process looked pretty quick and easy, less involved with much less attention to flavor than beer, no aging process necessary. Just a bit more equipment to convert a pot to a still. Might be a little too redneck for me though. Something tells me if I'm gonna move into doing the high-test stuff I should probably observe proper technique, like proper aging, and try to make something worth drinking. I guess I'm looking more for flavor than buzz these days.

I don't think you have to age moonshine, but you can't just throw corn feed or grain in there to make booze, there is a process of cooking the starch (mashing) for specific time/temperature to release the sugar that the yeast can digest. If course you can just throw more sugar in there.  I found adding sugar to beer batches adds a "hot" flavor that is unpleasant.  High Alcohol beer brews need to be bottle aged longer, with some calling for as much as a year. I am inclined to make lower alcohol beers so I can drink more of them at one sitting.  8)

I have a book somewhere that I bought years ago that talks about distilling, lots of variants, and a semi serious treatment of larger scale distilling. Back in the old days farmers used to ferment excess fruit crops into something they could store without spoiling, sell, and/or drink. .

One of my early co-op jobs was working for Barstead still and sterilizer company. Our main product was water distillation, but I recall Old Mr Boston ( a cheapo booze company) was a customer.

JR

Hi,

cool, brewing our own beer, I read that it take a lot of skills and experience to get some decent beer; respect.
In that case i'm too lazy, i just like to grab into a beer crate  ;D.

I am not that enthusiastic about waiting 2 years for imbibing

Well, it's the same as with my DIY audio projects...  ;D

Distilling is basically very easy, it thousand years old and i have a good book & experienced friend...  :)
The quality  depends mostly on the quality of your preparation work and the fruit quality, than it just takes time/patience...
same as with some of our DIY project here...  ;D

Currently 2 new barrels are on their way for 2015...  :-\ apple and pear...  :p
Nice soldering booze...

ROCK-ON!

Back