Finished my Pultecs (pics)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernbrue

Hi,
finally finished my pultecs. I used some old Klein&Hummel Poweramp chassis. I had quite a lot of heavy metall work to do. Thats why the backside looks a little bit ghettostyle. Anyway, they sound fantastic.

normal_Pultec_002.jpg

normal_Pultec_003.jpg

normal_Pultec_004.jpg

higher resolution picture are here:

http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10053&pos=0

Thanks a lot to Jacob und Frank.

regards
Bernd

Hey Bernd,

Good looking units. Very much like mine, but silver, and a much more kick ass chassis. I've noticed you wired your knobs and switches with normal stranded wiring as I have. No noise and hum problems at all? I guess maybe I don't have to use shielded wiring on mine - I was going to redo it. I've played around with different pieces of steel around the toroids and the boards, and at times, the noise is actually worse with them than without - it seems really sensitive. Any advice?

Thanks,
Sig

Hi,
thanks a lot for the kind words. Well, hum was a problem at first, but reasons for that were a bad grounding and a wrong wiring of the XLRs. Since I haven´t used torroids, the shielding of the power transformers was planned from the very beginning. Maybe shielded wires would have been better, but luckily everything is fine as it is now. Getting 250V by using one extra power transformer backwards was quite tricky. So one of my pultecs only gets 230V, but honestly, you can´t hear the difference. I love the sound, especially the very high end on vocals and the Bass boost for base drums. For the next pultecs I wouldn´t use a 3HE chassis once again, because there is not too much space left in my rack :grin:
regards
Bernd

the big front panel helps operation, the layout needs to be logical when your grabbing knobs in a hurry, a line of 15 knobs is a bitch to sort out, if i had it to do over again, i would go for the stock panel, and it looks way cool also.
people think you got the real deal, which may make it "sound" better.
to them at least.

Hi CJ,
this was the first stage of my pultec project.
:oops:
DIY_Gear_004.jpg

When I listen with my ears and eyes, the pultec shown above sounds better, thats for shure (although it´s the same unit) :green: . I never thought of selling my stuff, because I enjoy too much playing around with it. You´re right, concerning ergonomy the stock panel with its big knobs is very easy and fast to handle.
CJ, I was impressed by your V72 thread, thx for sharing your knowledge!
regards
Bernd

Back