Finished My Sta-Level Clone!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="cannikin"]Thanks Everyone!! It has been a fun project... and its not done yet

I will post Sound files in the future, I'm in the anal testing phase right now.

After the unit was powered for about 4 hours and running audio through it - the tubes got really hot.. they were glowing... so I powered down for a little while then powered it back up, shortly there after the fuse blew.

So nows the fun part..... I have the resistances of the Tube Pins and have been taking measurements. As I listed on another thread..

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=10134&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=gates+mod&start=15

A few of my resistance values are way off..... and the work begins.. Hopefully its something minor.

I'll let you know...

Thanks again for all your enthusiasm it really makes me feel all warm inside...

Cheers :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :wink:[/quote]

Hey David,

Is your sta level complete and working properly?

How do you like it?

:thumb:

HI there,

So funny.. I'm doing a rebuild of the unit in a new chassis (rack mount), I loved the way is sounded there were some minor GND issues that I couldn't figure out - I think it was mainly my layout or lack there of; in addition, I'm going to create better Power Filter design in the PSU and make a star Ground in hopes I don't have the same issue.

I'll post more when I dig in a little more.

looking back, thats a really beautiful build. saw an ad for a repro sta level, didnt know they were being made, so did a search looking for schematics of it.... which i found.

but anyway, this is excellent... did it become part of the rack as you intented david?

[quote author="enthalpystudios"]
but anyway, this is excellent... did it become part of the rack as you intented david?[/quote]

Thanks -- Yes I re-chasised it in a Rack I will post pictures soon. There were some issues after.... some hum and problems with the output.
I sent it to a friend to look over it. Basically I had to rebuild it from scratch.

[quote author="W DeMarco"]I was hopin you might let me borrow that thing![/quote]

Sure when its Completed and function exactly as it should :grin: :grin:

[quote author="joe-electro"]Just curious how you chose which flavors of caps go where in the circuit.[/quote]

I actually didn't "pick" caps for specific parts of the circuit, just used the stuff I had or wanted to try -- In the end, for this last build... I ended up using only Hovland Music caps for everything and Atoms for the PSU -- no orange drops.

[quote author="nielsk"]If I may ask, as I am planning to undertake a similar project for myself, what audio trannies did you use?[/quote]

I have used Sowter output transformers for the 4 sta levels I have built. Some have Sowter inputs & 1 has an old transformer I had in the box.

Brian Sowter made the prototype sta level output transformer for me !!

I love this thread! I've got two Sta-Levels that I'm in the process of complete restoring so I can sell them on evilbay for stupid prices, then I'm going to build a clone and keep it. I have a NOS power tranny purchased off the former but will appreciate any guidance on input and output trannies.

YEah this is one of my favorite DIY success stories. I built mine from the Schematic and also have the original sitting right next to me too.

As for Xfrmrs: I used a Sowter output and an original input that I got off ebay.

Please post your picts through the process.....

[quote author="Kid Squid"]Very nice work David, :thumb:

did you get your Federal up and going yet ?

Steve :thumb:[/quote]

unfortunately -- the Federal has been my failure :evil:
I cannot for the life of me get that damn 60Hz/120Hz out of the unit.
The next step is getting a scope and learning how to use it -- I bet after that I will find the issue very easily. I thinking of switching the Heaters to a DC supply see if that helps. I've tried using a hum balance pot, which worked to a point -- but didn't kill the hum.

Steve -- thank you so much for all the pictures of the original unit, is really helped me understand how to lay out the components.

WOW that's classy looking! Awesome job!

thanks a bunch -- Stagefright13 -- its actually changed I had to put it on a real rack because I was running out of tabletop real-estate. I'll post some picture eventually.

all the best!

Hey Dave,

I got a spare old scope that you can have, I had it given to me, haven't even fired her up, so if you want it - you can have it for the postage.
just gathering dust it is :wink:

btw, I'm sure that you WILL get to the bottom of it brawd :guinness:

Steve :thumb:

Latest posts

Back