Finished Sta-level (pics)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flundran

Yesterday I finished my Sta-level replica! It's built with Lundahl in/out xformers and Hammond PSU xformer and choke. So far I have only tested it on drums and vocals, but really like what I hear. When you put it on drum OH mics and really push it, then you've got that 60's big pop sound.  :) And vocals get very clear any easy to mix. The double-position is very musical to me and will probably be used most of the time.  :)
Thank you to Rob Flinn, Per Lundahl and Phil Moore for your advices.

The meter should probably read "Gain reduction"... But maybe I'll just leave it as it is.

front2.jpg

openlid.jpg

behind.jpg

ley me be the first to say that is a fine build! i like that logo.

where'd you get the case? do you have a link to the schematic?

outoftune said:
ley me be the first to say that is a fine build! i like that logo.

where'd you get the case? do you have a link to the schematic?

Thank you all for your kind words!  :) The logo is my signature that i scanned into the computer... It was engraved to the panel by a Swedish engraver.

The case is made of aluminum by a local sheet-metal worker. I thought it would be really smart, but the result was a bit "off" on some measurements, wich resulted I had to redo alot of the parts. It was then painted and drilled by me me at my school workshop.

http://www.waltzingbear.com/Schematics/Gates/Sta_Level.htm

Flundran said:
So far I have only tested it on drums and vocals, but really like what I hear. When you put it on drum OH mics and really push it, then you've got that 60's big pop sound.  :)

You can say that again. ;)  Nice to see you went with original 6386 too!

Very nice job.

desol said:
Nice to see you went with original 6386 too!

Very nice job.

I had plans for building it so that one could use 6BJ6 tubes instead, but It never happened... The 6386 is expensive, but I figured I won't 
change it very often anyway.

Rob Flinn said:
Looking good !!!
Hi Rob! I found out why I had no recovery time in SINGLE-mode. I used a polarized capacitor at C11 -turned the wrong way.. Doh!

mich said:
Amazing. Now you need another one for Stereo..... ;D
It would be really interesting to hear two STA-levels on a jazz/blues steeo mix. It could be really nice.

Thank you guys!
/F

Hi,

that looks Oh SOOOO awesome! You make me sick with envy! GRRRRR! Congratulations are definitely in order. Would you or Rob mind explaining what you have done  to modify the timing/attack/release? I know the the original has single/double, but what is Triple? and what is value/location of recovery pot? Any suggestions as to where to link for stereo, assuming you can find a suitable pair of 6386's. (Or that JJ's 6386 re-issue cuts the mustard!)

MAny thanks indeed, (can I have one? - or two?)

ANdyP

strangeandbouncy said:
that looks Oh SOOOO awesome! You make me sick with envy! GRRRRR! Congratulations are definitely in order. Would you or Rob mind explaining what you have done  to modify the timing/attack/release? I know the the original has single/double, but what is Triple? and what is value/location of recovery pot? Any suggestions as to where to link for stereo, assuming you can find a suitable pair of 6386's. (Or that JJ's 6386 re-issue cuts the mustard!)

MAny thanks indeed, (can I have one? - or two?)

ANdyP

Hi Andy,
Thank you for the kind words! About the switches: The TRIPLE position is the same as DOUBLE, but with a faster attack. The value of R35 is switched to achieve this. The RECOVERY is switching between 7 different values of R36. The STA-level service manual tells you how to calculate attack/release times for different capacitance and resistance values. Shoot me a PM if you need it.

/F

Latest posts

Back