Foley sound effects

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

For years, I've been somewhat familiar with the general concepts of Foley actors, Foley stages, etc. as used in motion pictures and television,  However, this article was fascinating as was the documentary video (about half way down the page):

https://library.creativecow.net/wilson_tim/secret_world_of_foley/1

Further down the page are various links with bio info, etc. about Jack Foley.

Bri

Cool, I did not know sound FX was still so prevalent in modern films. I remember seeing an old black and white film about sound effects in BBC radio - if I can find it I will post a link.

Cheers

Ian

Yep, it's still a huge part in modern film.

I think the two changes we see are more content that's cheaply produced because people don't want to pay for content and content owners don't want to lower their profits, so quality suffers instead and people don't complain, as well as plug-in and sample-based effects taking a bigger part of the process. So rather than hiring a foley artist to do footesteps, clothes and general rustle you run a virtual sampler and play it realtime instead.

But for bigger productions foley and good sound effects editing / sound design still can't be beat.

When I worked at the BBC they used to have sound effects units in the bigger radio studios. There would be a small wooden box with a door with a Yale lock, a handle & catch, a doorbell and a knocker. There would also be a small platform with a stone surface for footsteps. Roll the FX "unit" over to the mic stand and do it all live...

Nick Froome

Latest posts

Back