• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold FOUND - DBX big aluminium knob

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasdf

GDIY Supporter
Hello

I am looking for a DBX aluminium knob like the ones found on DBX 118, 128, etc, preferably the big ones but let me know if you have a small one for sale
I am located in France

Thanks in advance

Thomas

Attachments

• cdpi7io1qtpglwilahp7.jpg
    cdpi7io1qtpglwilahp7.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1
Sometimes close is good enough Thomas ,
The RS one is splined shaft I think which would require drilling ,
then you need to drill and thread for the grub screw ,
Its not a major engineering job ,
The kick in the balls you'd get from having to order from the UK would kill all the good ,
The knobs themselves look a lot like the vintage Peavey ones ,

'fluted aluminium knob' is the search term .

Sometimes close is good enough Thomas ,
The RS one is splined shaft I think which would require drilling ,
then you need to drill and thread for the grub screw ,
Its not a major engineering job ,
The kick in the balls you'd get from having to order from the UK would kill all the good ,

Thanks for your help ! From what I read it is not "close enough" and I don't have a lathe do perform such drilling with precision :) Plus I've decided to stop buying from the UK. Makes me sad but the customs and import taxes and all are now completely crazy (I've paid 12€ taxes for a 6£ PCB two weeks ago, I almost cried)

These look pretty close in style (haven't checked dimensions):

ONE Aluminum Fluted 1/4" Shaft 3/4" Dia. Knob w/Pointer & 2 Set Screws Alco Knob | eBay

Searching "alco knob" on eBay turns up a bunch that look similar - mostly in the US though!

Yes, this one is the right one, but it's the "small" version. I'll keep looking !

A member of the forum from EU DMd me, he has what I am looking for.. I'll see how it goes. And anyways, I'm not in a hurry at all. If I can't find the exact knob I'm looking for I have tons of other models at home that I can use and would do the job just fine. It's just that I'd be happy if it was exactly matching my unit, as a sort of tribute that that little funky box.

I totally understand what it's like to get hung up on things like this. I've been searching for a Blonder Tongue Audio Baton knob for years. If you are dead set on getting the real thing, then look for a broken 118 on ebay and when you win it, ask the seller to ship only the knob. That would be the 50-75 dollar option. Lucky for you, there are tons of 118s out there (unlike the BTAB). best - D

Right ? That being said, I am racking a DBX 118 and I want a knob for a makeup gain that will be on the faceplate, next to the 118. Another knob would do, it's not a rebuild / restoration of an antique and rare piece of gear. I've found a pair, here on the forum... to be continued. I like the idea of having a "coherent" front plate.

Audio Baton is fascinating, in that case with such a specific design I'd be looking for the real deal too ! Maybe I'd 3D print at some point, or you can try casting if you have some of the originals. It's not that hard and the results are pretty good, especially if you do some finishing / sanding / relic on it afterwards, like a modeler would do.
Did you try looking at radio surplus store and such ? To me, they look like knobs Philips would have used in early transistorized radios in Europe, for frequency tuning for instance.
Edit : wait, I assumed it was one of the frequency gain wheel knob ? If it's the in/out and volume you are referring to, it seems you're not the only one in this situation haha ! But I've seen resin molding of Stockli bakelite knobs that were super convincing !

Right ? That being said, I am racking a DBX 118 and I want a knob for a makeup gain that will be on the faceplate, next to the 118. Another knob would do, it's not a rebuild / restoration of an antique and rare piece of gear. I've found a pair, here on the forum... to be continued. I like the idea of having a "coherent" front plate.

Audio Baton is fascinating, in that case with such a specific design I'd be looking for the real deal too ! Maybe I'd 3D print at some point, or you can try casting if you have some of the originals. It's not that hard and the results are pretty good, especially if you do some finishing / sanding / relic on it afterwards, like a modeler would do.
Did you try looking at radio surplus store and such ? To me, they look like knobs Philips would have used in early transistorized radios in Europe, for frequency tuning for instance.
Edit : wait, I assumed it was one of the frequency gain wheel knob ? If it's the in/out and volume you are referring to, it seems you're not the only one in this situation haha ! But I've seen resin molding of Stockli bakelite knobs that were super convincing !
I do own other BTABs... was thinking of asking someone in our university shop to help me 3D print one as I have no knowledge of such things. It's also fun to endlessly look and hope I'll find one :)

Latest posts

Back