Furman HDS-6 Issue

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brichie

Howdy y'all,

Got a Furman HDS-6 here that is acting funny and I was hoping someone could shed some light on it.

Upon plugging in the gray RJ45 cable the JP2 fuse resistor opens up and won't send the -22v to the boxes, however JP3 will stay closed and continue to pass voltage. Things will return to normal after letting the unit sit unplugged but within a few seconds, the JP2 fuse opens again.

The problem has seemingly gotten worse over time with the time before JP2 opens after reset getting shorter and shorter.

As far as I can tell the issue follows the HDS-6 - I've got 4 boxes with 4 different sets of CAT5 pairs and they all have this problem when plugged into the rack unit.

AC voltage is good, U/Q 801 & 802 read correctly, and prior to plugging in the CAT5 cable - the +/-V shows on the PCB pins of the RJ45 port. None of the caps seem to show any sign of bulge, however the unit is about 20 years old now.

Start with replacing JP2?

Last edited:
Just so you know, many of us here are more or less experienced techs, but none of us has encyclopedic knowledge of all pieces of gear, much less component designators in each.

Some photos of the insides of the device, if not even a schematic, or at least a diagram of what's what, would help miles more than "component designator X craps out in device Y, what do i do?" :)

I don't mean to gatekeep or to be mean, just offering some (practical) perspective.

Here's the both the schematic for the HDS-6, page 13/20 for revision E and also the HR-6 unit, I've also included a picture of the power section of the board.

Here's also a picture of the point where I seem to be losing voltage

Thank you, Khron!

Attachments

• HDS-6.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • HR-6.pdf
    321.9 KB · Views: 1
The main problem I have encountered on these if failed op-amps. Try removing them one at a time to determine if one is pulling down the P/S

Back