G7 and Peluso Capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite frankly...I choose to reserve judgement.

Yeah that's fair enough! Except aren't the soundking backplanes made to simulate the originals, i.e. won't they look similar? soundking and all the other factories over there were set up by the West German mic manufacturers and supplied with West German machinery 50 years ago in any case...Remember Communism...? :wink:
If they are both trying to simulate originals you'd think they would look pretty similar... :?

Have you any idea why he would use US brass stock rather than what is already available from S/king?

I suppose it's easier to ensure consistent quality...? Who knows? that's just a guess... :green:

chef

Chef,

It is quite likely that the backplates in a lot of the Chinese mics may only have subtle differences model to model, etc. If JP is having backplates made to his own specs, the differences again may be only slight, then again they may be noticably different. The information I received within the last 24 hrs was that all he is doing is stretching diaphrams over S/king backplates. And until someone has complete proof that his backplates are not "off the shelf" stock all we have to go on is what JP says.

I have seen enough in the past and more recently to make me wary of JP's claims and I have now been told enough for me to maintain my cautionary attitude.

Generally speaking I have nothing against him, I have purchased s/hand parts from his Ebay auctions and had absolutely no problems and if people purchase his capsules and are happy with them, then that is great, I just hope that any information about his "products" is factual.

:cool:

Sure I appreciate all of that, and I have no reason to defend him other than he seems like a pretty genuine bloke to me and it would be a REAL shame to see his reputation besmirched by parties who may have obvious or not so obvious vested interests.
We have to be very careful about the things we write here as people will read them and take them as gospel, even though we do not necessarily intend that to be the case!
Remember Mixerman from wherever he was from? Was he all he claimed? Who knows but I think he may have a healthy imagination!
NOTE: That may be an incorrect assumption!
Now that is a pretty inconsequential example, but if we are careless with our words we can influence peoples views of businesses we dish dirt on without tangible proof... :sad:
don't get me wrong! I am not picking a fight, indeed I agree that you should maintain a healthy scepticism until proof is provided one way or the other, but we must all be careful that we don't appear to draw conclusions before we have all of the facts...

Errr...yes!
:green:

Chef

Yes mate, I think we're on a similar track...........we've just approached it from different directions.

Unfortunately, I'm not prepared to say who I "spoke" to or how close they may be or have been to either JP or Stephen Paul but I've been well acquainted with this person for about 3 years and have little reason to doubt what I was told.

In the mean time I'm tearing my hair out over an ATR-60 schematic........................AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Yes mate, I think we're on a similar track...........we've just approached it from different directions.

amen to that!!!

In the mean time I'm tearing my hair out over an ATR-60 schematic........................AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

...Not to that... :green:

chef

Unfortunately, for the vast majority of us, John Peluso is all we have for buying capsules only. Unless someone knows of some guy in Germany making capsules who will sell onesies and twosies to individuals overseas.

Let's pool our resources so we can find out once and for all: Where can we buy single or pairs of capsules from without much hassle?

Thanks all for the input.

This intrigue is getting a little much for my tastes. Why all the secrecy as to who said what? Why all the implications that Peluso has some secret, hidden treachery aimed at defrauding the general comunity of audio enthusiasts?

It is simple. If you have a question, ask the man. He talks on the phone, answers email, seems personable enough to me. Hell, you could visit if you like. Why ask a third or fourth party about what rumor they heard? This ia nonesense. Have you ever heard a negative comment from someone who uses one of his capsules?

I am trying to learn how to build a capsule. I have been gathering information from this group for many months now and Peluso was helpful enough with my pestering questions to send me one of his failed experiments. Two baskplates, one edge terminated and one center terminated. You tell me, would someone with all this James Bond secrecy surrounding him do that?

Here is my solution for the speculation. By a frigging capsule and try it out. Compare it to what ever else you want. If you don't like it see if you can return it or sell it on ebay or the Black Market. It would be little loss and you would then be able to live a life free from uncertanty and intrigue, at least on this subject.

Who is attacking JP and where?

Consul

The 3 micron 32mm capsule sound a little better to me than the 6 micron 32mms. This might have to do with the mass of the skin and cavity volume behind it, the 32 have a smaller diameter volume of air behind the skin. I have not measured the depth yet.

The capsule in the nady 1050 is OK it might be the same as the ones in the nady 900 series the pdf states 3 micron. Check MF you get the capsule and the mount and a body IIRC the 920 is dual skin.

The 797 audio 34mms 6 and 3 micron seem to be good as well.

Gus,

I don't see any info on John's site specifying membrane thickness, unless you found a page I haven't. :wink:

So you're advocating the use of the cheaper center-terminated capsules? Those are the only 32mm ones there that I can see.

Consul

I was not posting about JP site. I was posting about capsules in complete microphones and capsules that might be usefull in builds. I have seen nady 900s at about $60.00. SP b1s under $100.00 etc. Just somemore options.

Blue sells capsules for about $400.00

Oh, okay! Thanks for your help.

Decisions, decisions... At least the build is going slowly enough (buying parts a bit at a time) to where I can take time to think about my next course of action.

Since I don't hold out much hope for having a matched stereo pair, I'm seriously thinking about varying the parts between the two to a great degree. One with an edge-terminated capsule, and one center-terminated... Stuff like that. Two different flavors of the same basic mic.

buttachunk,

I was trying to make a point about the lack of helpfulness of some of the answers in this thread, but thomasholley did a much better job than I. I guess I was too subtle. :wink:

when JP first started making his mics, they were very affordable price wise which caused a bit of hoopla on the boards and some of the usual suspects had to open their mouths and talk shit about them, one persons water under his bridge was apparently so foul he had to post negative stuff on usenet while at the time had not even HEARD the capsules he was bashing. Responsible, I applaud you. I guess perhaps that has died down a bit or you guys have managed to stay insulated from the shit talk, either way, I dont mean to propagate the slander... For the money, I think you get an exceptional value and further, I think for the money, so far as a working professional is concerned there is a very small populus of the cream of the crop at the top who are gonna notice the difference between that mic and another. Andy Wallace doesnt mix the tracks I record, so Im not too worried about that...

It wouldnt bother me much if neumann mics were made in china if they sounded the same as they do now, which IMO, isnt annything too special. If people would concern themselves with the sound that comes out the speakers and not what made it, we'd be living in a different world.

dave

I had never heard of John Peluso before joining Group DIY a year or so ago. I never saw any of the shit talk, or even known about it until now. In fact, I never really questioned where to get a capsule from. I was more concerned about tubes, and I have my own rant about that, but I'll save it.

I did plan, and still plan to get my capsules from Peluso.

I'll apologise to anyone who read more into my comments than was originally intended but over the last 4 or 5 years there have been a number of instances where a "new kid on the block" type mic has surfaced, accompanied by various claims to their "heritage" and performance. Unfortunately, many have eventually been shown to be nothing more than rebadged "off the shelf" Chinese mics or variations of. Consequently, I choose to advocate caution until such times as any claims by "manufacturers" are proven to be fact.

In other words, just because my friend Joe Bloggs has been told by an acquaintance of his that he has heard that Harry Ford is importing re-spec'd auto engines from China and retuning them for the local market means very little.....it really is just hearsay and until someone physically proves that 1) the imports are different to the originals and 2) Harry is actually doing the retuning he claims, then it remains hearsay.

The "air" of caution is not about the performance factor as that is such a personal thing, it is simply because most of what I have seen written is 2nd, 3rd or God forbid, 4th hand information and to some degree is at odds with other information I have seen.

The "Horse" may be along some time so we can get the info 1st hand rather than nth hand, which is what we are all concerned about...
MAY be, i said...

chef :green:

Latest posts

Back