G9 finished, pics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reggie

hello,

I just got the knobs and finished the G9. I uploaded some pics here:
http://www.3ealities.com/downloads.html

I really want to thank Jacob and everybody else in here for all this amazing info and for giving me the opportunity to build such great equipment, which otherwise I could never afford. I absolutely love the sound, for vocals as well as for guitar!

So yesterday I took the G9 and the G7 (which I had built in summer) to the studio of a friend of mine. He always likes to buy lots of equipment and seemed to be very curious about my new preamp. But the first thing he did was critizise some stuff like the grounding (which I have done exactly like described, I did not have any hum when recording in my studio). And there "should be a digital converter chip directly in the device if this is supposed to be highend". When we turned it on, we got some very slight hum (for me almost not audible), but we found it was due to holding the microphone almost next to the toroids (which I would never do anyway). So his only comment was "this needs to have an external powersupply". And the output pots need to be rotary too (because of the quality of the sound passing through).
He had to admit "it sounds very good" but then his next commentary really pissed me off : "well, 350 ? spent for this is a lot of money. It may just come close to my 200 ? Behringer Tube Preamp. I have heard lots of expensive preamps, but there´s never much difference between them"
And this guy has lots of work and has been a recording engineer for 30 years.
Next I played for him a recording where I did a remix of very badly recorded material. On that I took the leadvocals (I had only 1 track to work with) and sent it through the G9 and this worked "wonders". I was absolutely amazed what the G9 could get out of this horrible recording! Really put the vocal up front in the mix. But his only commentary was "before it sounded way better, the G9 makes it sound very harsh and plastic-like".

I left the studio really frustrated and pissed, at least I know now what to think of this person. I suspect it might have been some kind of envy and not being able to admit that also women :wink: could build studio equipment.

Now I have another question, if any of you have a look at my G9 pics, below I put 2 pics of a "Teletron LWF 70". I snatched this some days ago from my local garbage (wasn´t allowed to do so), but this case was just too beautiful .....
Maybe someone knows what it really is? I found only little info on the web. It says on the back "Pfützner Apparate-Bau" , 1971. This huge scale thing on the front is made by Siemens, looks expensive.
I´m thinking about using the case for a SSL Clone, but don´t really know if someone might pay good money for this on evilbay. Maybe I could try to sell only this big scale by itself, but what is it or what is it called?

thanks for any info,
Reggie

Good work, Reggie..!

"..And there "should be a digital converter chip directly in the device if this is supposed to be highend.."
Ha-ha.. :grin: Obviously your friend does not share our opinion on such things.

For the sound of the G9 - there was an interesting shoot-out in a swedish studio last weekend; they collected 20 of the best microphone preamps they could borrow or rent, and did a blind test with three of their associated engineers...

:shock:

...all three of them elected the G9 as the best... Mind you - this was a BLIND test... ..scary..

And even though there are some differences between this one (it was a "commercial" Gyraf G9) and a diy-version, there's still a long, long way to the behringer stuff..

:razz:

Jakob E.

[quote author="gyraf"]Good work, Reggie..!

"..And there "should be a digital converter chip directly in the device if this is supposed to be highend.."

And even though there are some differences between this one (it was a "commercial" Gyraf G9) and a diy-version, there's still a long, long way to the behringer stuff..

:razz:

Jakob E.[/quote]

..aha.... :cool: ....That's why you lay it all out for DIY :roll: ?

Hey... great work Reggie !
I'm planning to build a G9 as my next DIY project...

Gyraf stuff ROCKS !!!

...and don't think about the judge of your weird friend... :wink:

[quote author="reggie"]I have heard lots of expensive preamps, but there´s never much difference between them[/quote]

Any "engineer" who can say that with a straight face is a) deaf, b) full of sh¡t, and c) inexperienced. Even if he really can't hear a difference, why advertise his mediocrity out loud like that? Think about it... Would you go to a surgeon who said "why spend money on a scalpel, when a pair of craft scissors cut just fine?"?

If I was a producer in Germany, I'd be PM'ing you like crazy, asking for his name so I know to steer clear of him...

Peace,
Al.

Good work! I would tie some of that cabling away from the toroids though, maybe even put a little shielding wall there. But I'm just paranoid.

I will do that, just to make sure.
There´s one thing though, that I´m not quite clear about. The cables to the Output Xlr´s only have the + and - signal, I don´t see the ground coming from the middle trace at the pcb. So I just wired those two. But what about pin 1 on the output xlr´s? Can they be left "open" or should they be connected to chassis ground/input xlr ground? I just would like to know (even though I do not hear any hum whatsoever).

Ha-ha.. Obviously your friend does not share our opinion on such things.

he even said it should be very easy to include that, more or less it´s "just buy a Burr Brown and put it in there". I just told him, if it´s so easy, why doesn´t he do it himself.

very interesting about the studio shoot-out. Basically that says it all :grin:

the only Behringer that I do like is the old Combinator MDX 8000 Multiband Compressor, which I use a lot. But I guess those were built in a different era of B. I don´t know though, how it will compare to a 1176 or SSL, which I want to build too. My "friend" once had an original 1176 and threw it out for the behringer.

Any "engineer" who can say that with a straight face is a) deaf, b) full of sh¡t, and c) inexperienced. Even if he really can't hear a difference, why advertise his mediocrity out loud like that? Think about it... Would you go to a surgeon who said "why spend money on a scalpel, when a pair of craft scissors cut just fine?"?

this is exactly what I think. There have been "signs" before that something must be wrong with the guy but now it´s all become obvious. The same thing basically happened when I showed him the G7 in summer. I admit, there might still be some humming issues (but only in his studio hooking it up to the behringer, never with my Siemens stuff), I´m not so sure I did everything right there. But it works and it sounds great, I´m recording with it all the time. But he did not even say one word about the sound quality of it.

I just think, those kind of people rob themselves of any opportunity to learn more, they´re just so convinced of their own knowledge and they wanna stay like that. Too bad for them.

Reggie, great stuff what you've done there! :thumb:

Myself, i'm sclose to finishing some of my G9's and i'm sure these will be closer to Avalons then to Bringers :green:

I would stay away from so called "pro's" with recent Behringers other then modded ADA8000, HP amps. The early Bringer stuff was indeed of another level of performance, i used their denoiser very much in my full tape/analog days, with good results.

Enjoy your G9, i'm sure you'll be using it a lot :wink:

Cheers,

Tony

jakob,

How much better is your commercial G9 than the DIY one would you say? The G9 is definitely one project I am looking forward too, after my G7s!!!

What are the major differences?

Shane

Nice looking G9, Reggie. The colour scheme is cool, with the black and white controls.

I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it. My two G9s get used on nearly everything we record now.

:thumb:

Shane,

There are several major differences, as the DIY-version is optimized with an eye on availability of parts anywhere. But the basic concept is the same - and there should be little difference in sound.

Jakob E.

you don't want to share the schematics with us? :green:

Only joking, really THANKS A LOT Jakob for sharing the version of the DIY G9 already, from what i've read on these pages and the feedback i've got from other users, i'm sure i'll be using them daily (as soon as they're finished :grin: )

I wish you nothing but succes with the commercial version of the G9!

Cheers :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: ,

Tony

thanks everyone for your nice comments.

today I´ll be recording the whole day with the G9, I even put my Siemens V276 and V72 aside for now ....
As I said, I find it also very interesting to just run already recorded stuff through the line in. I did that with a synth bass (that I got from spectrasonics trilogy) and that just did not sound right in the mix. After re-recording it through the G9 it fit perfectly :grin: So I guess there´s lots of interesting things to discover.

Reggie

Reggie,

Keep us posted about your exiting experiments today!
Whatever fuels my hunger for using them will force me to work on building them faster :grin:

Cheers en have fun,

Tony

Congratulation Reggie

Very nice work. Every time I see such a nice thing made by a girl I'm so impresed because usually this DIY thing is asociated with boys. Very nice.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Hey all male forum members. I think we should dedicate a thread for all the girls from this forum and their DIY projects. Maybe it would atract more girls into the DIY world and give them more confidence.
I think I will start one.
What do you think?

chrissugar

Back