G9 finished, pics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="reggie"]

He had to admit "it sounds very good" but then his next commentary really pissed me off : "well, 350 ? spent for this is a lot of money. It may just come close to my 200 ? Behringer Tube Preamp. I have heard lots of expensive preamps, but there´s never much difference between them"
And this guy has lots of work and has been a recording engineer for 30 years.
Next I played for him a recording where I did a remix of very badly recorded material. On that I took the leadvocals (I had only 1 track to work with) and sent it through the G9 and this worked "wonders". I was absolutely amazed what the G9 could get out of this horrible recording! Really put the vocal up front in the mix. But his only commentary was "before it sounded way better, the G9 makes it sound very harsh and plastic-like".
[/quote]

Reggie,

Very nice work. Your friend is at best a knuckle-head, and at worst, a sexist. The G9 stands up well against any other high end pre-amp I have used. Enjoy!

-Chris

I will soon post in the girls´ DIY thread a few pics of other stuff I have done :grin:

What kind of transformers are you using? Tube brand?

I´m using the Oep´s, because they are way cheaper but from reading what they sound like, I figured they would fit my taste (and they definetely do!).
The tubes are Siemens for the input and Valvo for the output. They are used, was the cheapest I could get off ebay (for 5 ? a piece). I read somewhere though, that someone was also using 12AX, which I have plenty of, from my guitar amps. Maybe I´ll put those in sometime, just to hear what they do.

Reggie

Back