G9 qualitys

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put one together! It's worth it and it isn't really pricey with OEPs...

Question about noise level on your units.
With both gain and volume cranked I get 4mVpp of residual noise on the scope. Is this ok?
I can't hear any hum just a little bit of white noise on full...

It's OK if you can live with it on the sounds you record! :wink:

I have some noise on the first one I built (home made PCB) when cranked hard but have not measured it. Units 2 and 3 were quieter, but have since left the studio. I'm building no. 4 now. For most sound sources the G9 will be operating somewhere in the middle of its range and is quiet enough.

Some tubes are noisier than others.

For really quiet sources you may need something else.

I did a lot of tube comparisons in the G9. They do make a difference in this circuit. Give it a try. btw check if they are microphonic (sp?). Thats what affects the sound a lot

Jens, can you give us some more insight in different tubes you tried?
Hope to finish 2 G9's over the weekend to compare transformers myself.
My first G9 was compared to UA , Avalo737n and sounds nicer, warmer and has a sexier distortion when pushed real hard. Great on DI bass and gtrs (reamp at later stage), piano, vocals, overheads.

Hallo again!

Finally, I managed to put together two recordings of an acoustic guitar with the G9. Now, I need your "golden" ears to tell me, if you can hear a difference between those two takes as I am not really objective;-)

The recording equipment was:

On one take the G7 mic directly into the saffire focusrite.

The other one is the G7 into the G9 into my DIY AD converter.

Please keep in mind that the recording was done in a little room that hasn't been treated and in the background you can hear the computer fan.

Moreover the guitar sounds a little bit scooped and thin by itself...
I tried to keep the position of the guitar to the mic equal on both takes and play more or less the same riff...

Please tell my, which one you like better!
Thanks again guys, I'm really curious which one you'll choose!

Here the URLs:
1)
http://www.mediafire.com/?x07902gyy4j
2)
http://www.mediafire.com/?ofpezxtwmy6

Latest posts

Back