Gates SA-39B - Attack and Release Modifications Questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GussyLoveridge

GDIY Supporter
Thanks in advance for reading and helping me with this. I do appreciate it as always.

I’m trying to devise some attack and release times that would be suitable for modification to a Gates SA-39B. What I’ve come to realize is that I’ve never really thought about attack and release times in relation to micro or milliseconds before. I usually just turn the knobs on what ever piece of equipment that I’m using until it achieves the desired sound I’m looking for. I am assuming that I will fine tune these values by ear eventually but I’m trying to give myself a starting place. I read through the manuals for the SA-39B and the Sta-Level. Much of the math I’m using has come from the Sta-Level manual. I’m hoping that premise is correct for my use. As well, I checked out the attack times for the 1176 from the UA manual (20-800 microseconds or as they quote “Extremely Fast”).

I measured some of the transients on some of my recent recording sessions which seem to in the area of 1-3 milliseconds. I have used this information to inform my decisions here but I could be way off. I honestly have no idea. I am not looking for “Extremely Fast” for this unit. I can get that from another hardware or software compressor.

For the release times, I took a look at a broad range of temps 80-150 bpm and looked at the various lengths of subdivisions from within a bar of 4/4. I'm basing the release times roughly on those.

I think I’m going to use a 6 position switch for the attack times and the existing resistor ladder (I think that’s what that’s called) for the release times. I am thinking that the 6 pos attack switch should be inserted in series following the plates of the 6H6. I am also wondering if there is interaction with the resistor ladder for release times that I need to be taking into account for the attack times - I don’t think so?

Anyway - here’s what I’ve come up with.

So do these times make sense as a starting point? Can you suggest any other possibilities? Am I way off point here?

Please see the attached schematic and document.

Attachments

• SA-39B Attack and Release Modifications.png
    SA-39B Attack and Release Modifications.png
    128.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Gates SA-39B Limiter Schematic.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 5
Look at DaveP’s approach, which IIRC is my approach, more or less. I spent awhile with a real unit and my ears varying the values. Math will only get you to a place without ears, as a starting point. The theoretical timing provided bu the math is only a very small fraction of the total picture. For example Dave’s build did not sound like an original with the same timing mods because of all the OTHER variables.

Back