Golden Age Pre 73 Mod

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexmc1988

I have a Golden Age Pre 73 Preamp that I would like to do something different with. I have 4 Seven Circle N72s so I have the Neve sound covered. What I am considering doing is upgrading the input and output transformers, changing all of the transistors to germanium, adding a PAD switch, and a "thick" switch(light low end boost). What I would really like is a Chandler Limited Germanium Pre but that's a lot of money and no where near as fun.

I know how to upgrade the Transformers and I think I can figure out the transistors. How would I make a PAD and Low Boost switch? Where would I need to insert those in the circuit?

Also would changing the transistors to germanium make any difference? The only reason I thought I would do that is because that's what the Chandler uses.

Thanks

Germanium transistors are at least an order of magnitude harder to get right and to keep stable than Silicon ones. They change bias point dramatically with temperature, for example. I don't know for sure, but I suspect these "Germanium" products have one or two Germanium transistors in the signal path, not a case full.

--mark

Why not just get one of PPA's germanium pres, theyre not expensive at all.  Kits I think were 70 euro then get the transformers from Jeff at Classic API... its like a 312 with a germanium opamp built in.  I have a pair of them, sound awesome on guitar and bass (esp distorted guitar).  Send him a message and find out when the next batch is coming out.  You dont need a 500 series rack either, you can use a separate PS and rack mount the board (has separate power IN and audio i/o spots on the board for this purpose.

Edited the price on the kits cause i didnt look before i typed... doh!

Back