Golden Age Project PRE73 MK III (*Carnhill modded*) - Issue

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Mayhew

Hi everyone,
before I send my 'Golden Age Project PRE73 MK III' to a local electrician for repair, could anyone recognize the fault by hearing a short clip please?
The lad who is willing to take a look at it, 'modded' 4 of these Pre's in total for me, upgrading the transformers to Carnhill's, as well as installing vintage Motorola 2N3055's. The other 3 modded Pre's are still working excellently well, but this one, which was setup for my 'O/H Floor' mic channel, developed the fault recently. I've attached the drum clip, which clearly shows a break in the recorded signal, which progressively gets worse.

I can't work out if it is maybe to do with one of the vintage 'Motorola 2N3055', or possibly the Carnhill transformer mod, but basically it can record well to start with,
albeit a lower signal, but then usually after a few minutes, it begins to lose signal, and crack/distort and just drop out altogether in the end.
I have attached a small MONO CHANNEL MP3 audio clip, to try and demonstrate the issue. It was recorded as usual @ around -12db.

Cheers,
Dan. (Wales, UK)

Attachments

• OVERHEAD - PREAMP FAULT - MP3.mp3
    4 MB
Back