Good resources for learning about tubes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camshash

Hi guys,

I'm looking to try out some different tubes in my fox audio apex 460 mod, but instead of just asking what tubes would sound good for my needs Id rather learn for myself so I can make educated decisions in the future. I know the basics of how tubes work, but any good resources are appreciated. Currently Ive only made tube circuits with microphones but want to start branching out into Vari-mu and tube amps. Thanks!

Franks pages are great , R-type is another great resource,
Radiomuseum.org , Kubarth ,lots of great stuff there .Douglas Selfs site .
Download yourself a copy of RDH4 if you havent already , that will take you from the foundations of wireless to around 1960

Last edited:
Duncans amps PSUDII is a must have for me
This site has some very handy calculators
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calcul...u=&value_dBV=&value_dBm=&value_dBm_select=600Theres many usefull online electronic calculators that take care of the hard math ,pencil and paper , you just punch in a few variables and get an answer , once you get used to the equation the principle behind is isnt far from understanding .

Alexa , plot me an EF86 with 75 volts at the anode , 1.5 k cathode resistor and 50mV ac at the grid ,
doesnt sound all that far fetched anymore does it ? Using REW to evaluate real circuit performance beats any kind of simulation

Last edited:
Back