Ground and wiring question Yamaha M-406 mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomWomb

Hi All,

I would appreciate any help anyone can give that address this specific query.
I am putting direct outs in (unbalanced, because I have little time to rig something else).

I can do a mod with just TS wire, BUT: I have lots of TRS wire lying around. Are the following things TRUE?:

1) I can use the TRS wire as long as I ground the shield on ONE END ONLY?

2) all GROUNDS are the same, and therefore, I can ground one end of the shielded DIRECT OUT cable to the SAME GROUND used by the XLR input?

3) if 2 above is true, then doing it this way with shielded wire, one end grounded, will give you just a bit better signal protection than just unbalanced via TS cable?

Thanks! I love you!

Boom

1/ TRS will work perfectly as TS, it will ignore the R wire/connection.
2/ Not all grounds are the same. This causes ground loops and hum if mixed up.
3/ Balanced TRS has much higher noise rejection than TS.

1/ TRS will work perfectly as TS, it will ignore the R wire/connection.
2/ Not all grounds are the same. This causes ground loops and hum if mixed up.
3/ Balanced TRS has much higher noise rejection than TS.
Hi Jon S.,

If I use TRS, I have to ground the shield at one end, right? Otherwise the shield is floating and will create noise?
I had read this was true, and that's why I assumed one end of the shield had to be grounded. My question was, can I ground the shield of the Direct Out I installed, to the ground point of the XLR input?

The tip is connected at both ends. The Shield is connected at both ends as is the Ring.
Effectively the ring wire is not used in a mono cable situation. It does not create noise, it just means that if you want to use the lead as a balanced lead, it will work as normal.
If you are converting balanced to mono, connect the mono end, R and S together but not both ends.

Both ends of the sheild must be ground.

Back