GROUP BUY: Universal Audio 176 - a 100% faithful recreation of a legend! CLOSED!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AL 29 would be great!!!!

Because that is what is on 176 and most 175b.... For that one pic you posted I can post 40 that do not have that meter If you want..?:).

175 had the big meter and maybe a few as they transition to the smaller Weston..If we are being authentic here...Please lets
get the smaller meter! :) I really want it to match my  original 175b.
So keep me posted on the AL 29 option....
Thanks!!!!
John

rainton said:
Hey guys,

as some may have probably found out the 20uf/20uf can caps with 1" diameter are not longer available.
When I built my prototype back then they still were offered by CE manufacturing.

Now thanks to Jonathan aka Quayhog we may have a solution for the problem! :)

He found a little company that can custom make can caps for us!! And the good thing is, if we order more than 50 caps from them, they will be even cheaper than the CE manufacturing ones!

They can also make the long out of production 10uf/10uf can caps that are soldered directly to the pcb...here's a pic - they have a chrome finish  8):

Now we only have to find out if they can make the 10uf/10uf caps with pcb pins instead of regular twist lock terminals - which would be great!
If not we'll also find a was to make them compatible ;)

Sign me up!

Hey guys,

at this point I'm not sure if I find the time to handle a group buy for the caps as well.
I did something like that in the past with the EQP-1A when I started a group buy for the S-217D trannys while doing the chassis kits at the same time and it was tough to do all of it at once - given the fact that I'm doing chassis kits for a 2nd group buy (the tube opto comp) over on analogvibes.com

Maybe Jonathan can chime in, but I think if we can find a way to guarantee the manufacturer we're taking at least 50 caps and then organize ourselves so the caps going to the US are maybe sent straight to the buyers and the rest is sent here to Germany and sent off in one box with the chassis kits that would help all of you guys, right?

As far as I know the caps usually would be like $29.50 ea. which is quite a bit cheaper than CE manufacturing. But given we take like 50 caps they would give us a discount of around 15%-17% - somewhere around $ 25.00 ea.

Any suggestions how we could proceed is welcome. I think posting here to create a list would help. Maybe you could add wether your in the US or elsewhere in the world to your posts.

BTW I got some more GOOD NEWS - especially for you John  ;)
And those who go the SIFAM route

My friend Aaron with Don-Audio who is the German distributor for SIFAM talked to them about our project here and they offered to make a custom version of their AL29WF meter for us to resemble the look of the Weston meter used in the later versions of the 175b an 176 as mentioned by John before - or at least get close to it - here's a mockup of what it will look like:

flf5ln6b6o8t9v95g.jpg

Again since the most group buy members use the same API meter I used in my prototype, it's only relevant to a few, but given the fact that the API meter is not being made anymore, I needed to find a solution for the future if we want to keep this project alive.

However the API version will be limited to this run - so 1time only  8)

I agree!
Awesome Martin!!!! Also are these close to 3" wide?

This is great news!!!! And I think the RIGHT way to go since you have spent so much time making everything else right!!!!
Tell Don Audio Thanks!!!!!
John :)

Well..... for those of us in the first round with the api 361, can source them for 50US each and the O~17 shields for 20US..cheers team

Phrazemaster said:
By the way would the increased DCR of the A19 vs the A18 cause any issues?

Also to clarify, you said both the A18 and A19 were used in the 176, correct? References online said it was the A19, and one said both were used.

Thanks Doug!

Mike

That is just not true! I have an original UA 175b and the interstage is a UTC A-19 with a UTC A-33 shield....
Hope this helps!
J

Just posted a spare A18 for sale in the Black Market if anyone if looking for one.

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=68675.0

Back