Group buy?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Avid is a paradox. Can’t live with it and can’t live without it. Apparently it’s not meeting financial expectations so sell the SOB. What can a new Robber baron accomplish. I miss digidesign days.

Well I wrapped up my DIY project yesterday (tube line amp). I ran it for over 12 hours just listening to those gorgeous 6N6p. I've gathered enough 6N6p to last me for a looonnngg time!

listening to those gorgeous 6N6p
I remember having my SS amp go out in the middle of a mix project and all I had was a dynaco stereo 70 around with some Siemens El34’s I hooked up that amp to finish a job over the next few days and damn if it wasn’t more enjoyable than the clinical sound of the a hafler. Mind you the problems with the response of the dynaco 70 , it still had a better or should I say friendly sound to it. Project came out great and no remixes. Those were the days.

Ya know I meant to post my response in the "DIY is getting expensive" thread. But that's what happens when I wear my bullsh!t cheaters after days of soaking my eyeballs in solder smoke. Pro Tools, I have one word, not a word but...ugh!

Last edited:
Re. Avid, etc.....

It's been 30+ years so my memory of exact timeframes/years is hazy. Plus, it was all from "flyover country" where I was working. lol...I can hear the older list members from The Coasts chuckling about the backwoods!

The original Sound Design (? Sound Tools?) DAW, running on Mac hardware, was a ground breaking system for our studio. We mainly did audio tracks for ads and "industrials" with our 2" 24 track tape and desk The Sound Tools (?) system allowed us to set up a separate room/system for doing final product . Typically editing VO tracks and then mixing a background music track. The analog I/O box was 4 in/4 out.

Within a few years, the products were absorbed into Avid. Then it began a treadmill of forced upgrades and "subscriptions" for (non) support. I DO recall a situation with one of our 888 interfaces died after a thunderstorm. Power supply had smoked, and Avid told us we we had to buy an entire new 888 unit. I was pissed and looked inside the interface. The switching PSU was made by OneHungLowChopstick Ltd (g). Somehow in the VERY early days of the internet I found the exact PSU card used by Avid and had it shipped from the Far East. That 888 box lasted for more years after I decided that Avid was a worthless company.

I have many more Avid stories from the other department which did the video production. And years of battles with them and their terrible audio hardware.

I am NOT a fan of Avid and hope they don't survive.

Bri

Fairly unanimous the sentiment coming through , vapourware and highway robbers ,
nasty business model .

Fairly unanimous the sentiment coming through , vapourware and highway robbers ,
nasty business model .
It was gawd awful on the video side of that studio.

30+ year old memories as I said above......but I'm semi close. We had three Avid video systems and the annual "full support" price was six figures per year in total. Ohhhh...and every year or two, the hardware we purchased was suddenly obsolete. Spend another five or six figures for new boxes which were flaky.

Yet Hollyweird and the USA production biz has tolerated these practices.

Bri

Supply chain aside, purchasing Euphonix was a boat anchor for them. As they have gotten bigger there is much more distance between a person on the phone and someone who can actually DO something to help you, but that is the same with any big corp. Majority equity ownership is already PE, which further removes them from their customer base.
This will certainly spook new hardware purchasers.
At least it won't be Harmon. Musk is too busy, even though he would find good people to run it.

Yeah, I remember Sound Designer. It gave us something to do with the SCSI port on the mac, hookin up that honkin' 500MB external HD. Razor blade/splicing tape consumption started its downward trajectory.
Mike

Whoa! Would never have expected that!
As far as 2008, I remember a financially oriented guy telling me that Digidesign, later Avid's stock falling down consistently, even if they ramped up recently. Maybe that is why they want to sell, buy low sell high?

Latest posts

Back