GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, I used a synth to get as pure a sine wave as i could, an my converters are outputting 136mV, and the clone is putting out .18 volts
Peter

OK, that was it. This is a hot box. Like 10 dB more than my alan smart c2. The unity gain mod put more in line with the smart. So I'm happening now. Thanks for helping me sus this out. By the way, The sound is great. Its diferent from the smart, but we allready knew that. I've read a lot of people thinking about this project, wondering how close to the original they are going to get. Let me say the smart, that costs $2800 does not sound more expensive. Thanks diy and the greatest Dane Jakob! Pics soon.
Peter

Hi everybody,

I´m a new member of this great forum.

here is my first question:
I´ve just finished my GSSL, but I´m not so shure about the
VU-meter that I´ve got , because its reacting kind a strange.
Is it o.k. to use a VU-meter at all or does it have to be
a 1mA-meter and why?

The VU-meter that I´ve got is small but realy cool looking,
so I would like to keep it. Can anybody help me?

Cheers
moogfrotee

Hi Jakob and all,

I have stuffed two ssl boards, and I have the same problem in both, the sound from both is distorted and vey low (and somehow like high passed), the make up gain works fine cause I can hear the sound going up a bit... but as soon as i turn the treshold full anticlockwise a big fat hum comes in.... :sad:

the meter dose nothing but as soom´n as the big hum comes in goes less than 0...

any ideas??

regards ....

Are you susing the 2180 (or the self baising version whatever number). If so try disconecting pin 4. Solved my noise problems.

hi jakob and all...

i got it down to two problems...it was a combination of things unbalanced inputs, not earthed, control panel soldered badly (the worst soldering ive ever done actually) etc.... mainboard I think that is working fine...

One problem is when I turn the treshold to the negative side of the pot, I can see a spark in the pot... and the sound goes down....

The other problem is that... the meter is reacting too much to the sound... I am using a 1ma fsd meter with a 2k res...

Can anyone please help me out...

regards...

[quote author="keithcamilleri"]One problem is when I turn the treshold to the negative side of the pot, I can see a spark in the pot..[/quote]

Does the threshold work as it should otherwise? Check that pot wiper isn't shorted to ground or +12. Check that it's the right series resistance between pot wiper and opamp (see schematic)

Once you get the unit working right, experiment with a trimmer resistor across the meter to dial in the right reading.

Jakob E.

hi jakob,

yep it does work ok ... but when the dial touches the negative contact of the pot i could see a spark there and then the sound goes low .... I checked the voltages and it does give the 12v for the sidechain... maybe I'm missing something...I'll recheck for voltages and for the resistor tonight...

I didn't have these probs with the first clone, maybe it was beginners luck :)

Thanks for your reply Jakob appreciated as always...

Regards

probably has been covered already but i can't ever seem to get a good search result here.

the schematic shows +/- 15 volts on pin 4 and 7 of the 55332's in the VCA section. but the PCB layout has a - 15volt trace that goes to another pin (can't remember which one....sorry)

i have two pins on my sockets that show a -15 volt rail and one that has the +15 volt rail.

is this normal, or have i done something wrong. i don't want to plug my chips in and power it up until i figure this out.

thanks,
j.hall

Hi jakob

all working well now...

Only the meter is not looking right, It is working , for example when the attack or release ares switched the meter does change but when the treshold is set to the highest point the meter goes over FSD.. .. I am Using a SIFAM A29 0-1ma FSD.... Is it something I did or is it working well?

Thanks

Hall,

Compare to the PCB layout PDF. That is known working.

Keith,

I don't understand what problem you have? From the description it is working as it should? You shouldn't change timing in the middle of a mix anyway, and the meter will off course go off-scale if you compress more than it can indicate..?

Jakob E.

[quote author="gyraf"]Hall,

Compare to the PCB layout PDF. That is known working.
[/quote]

OK, every thing looks fine on the PCB layout PDF and my actual PCB's and soldering job.

i guess my question is. should i be getting - 15 volts on two different pins on the 5534's in the VCA section?

accroding to the PCB layout, i should.

i'll have to check again.

stand by.............

could i possibly have my polarity flipped?

are there two pins that should have +15 volts?

never mind. i was totally looking at the wrong thing.

everything is running just fine.

Allright,

Bench checking my second SSL, and it doesn't presently pass signal at all. I've checked the DC voltages, and everybody is happy. I've been over the board a couple times looking for shorts, doesn't mean there isn't one there still.

The left channel passes a sine wave, but cranks it on output(whether bypassed or not), and turns it into a saw wave, just about. Controls do little to nothing.

As for the right, if I feed it a sine wave on the right channel, I lose the signal coming out the other side of the 22k resistor before pin 2 of the input 5532.

Here's a couple somewhat unrelated questions ( plus filling in details of the parts I'm using). I'm using 202 VCA's, and THAT 2181LB in the sidechain.

If using 202's, are the trim pots removed? I've got them in there at present, but thought I'd ask.

My meter was working when I first started testing, and now it is pegged ( and stays pegged). Ever run into this, and is there a way to "unpeg" it?

Regards

ju

Hi Ju,

There's not much to do but to check and recheck components, orientation, pcb tracks, and powersupply distribution...

My meter was working when I first started testing, and now it is pegged ( and stays pegged). Ever run into this, and is there a way to "unpeg" it?

Sorry - I don't understand "Pegged"?

Jakob E.

Latest posts

Back