GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there...
May I ask some question about the temperature of regulators with 202X??Mine are gone very hot after a few minutes...
I also have a problem with ground...I saw many kinds of star ground here , which one is the best??
Any ideas??

thx guys! :thumb:

[quote author="RedNoise"]Hi there...
May I ask some question about the temperature of regulators with 202X??Mine are gone very hot after a few minutes...
[/quote]

Do you use any heatsink with them ? Heatsinking will help.

[quote author="RedNoise"]
I also have a problem with ground...I saw many kinds of star ground here , which one is the best??
Any ideas??
[/quote]

This subject has been intensively covered in this forum.

One of the good thread on the subject is here

You could post a pic of the inside of the GSSL, it will help to answer to your question.

eD

Thx Vertiges ,
I was just surprised by the heat cause my other GSSL is not as hot!
I just wondered if it was due to 202X instead of 2181 in my "cold psu" unit...
Interesting starground advices...will try it tommorow and take pics if I have enough time.
Very long thread , but helpfull!!

:green:

[quote author="RedNoise"]Thx Vertiges ,
I was just surprised by the heat cause my other GSSL is not as hot!
I just wondered if it was due to 202X instead of 2181 in my "cold psu" unit...
Interesting starground advices...will try it tommorow and take pics if I have enough time.
Very long thread , but helpfull!!

:green:[/quote]

I don't know how much current the DBX need.
Did you use the same power transformer ?

eD

As a friend of mine told me , I overkill the power psu...80VA!
I have a second one to fire up this day...but it is also with 202 , but C (black can)
Will tell you.
The problem with heatshrink is that there is not so much place ...

Edit:May I build a heatshrink for both regulator??I mean a common heatshrink?

Hey Vertiges!!I re-read this thread , and didn't find where I post to thank you for the beh vu (smooth opening) pictures...
so : thx
:green: :thumb: :green:

here a pic of the under construction 202C version...
img-130741zu0dn.jpg
[/url]
The problem is with the star ground...The silent depends on how I screw the wires , sometimes it works , sometimes not...Maybe power trafo's too big??(80VA)
Could someone help me please??[/img]
Edit:This is my first DIY , every advice welcome...

I started reading that very interestring thread , but didn't find the reason why my "2181" version do not comp...
makeup is working well , in/out switch also , I just leave the two 47R near the sidechain vca to get -12V on pin 5 of the vca...(2181 too)
Could someone help please??

One question again:Does the 202X eat more power from the psu?Psu's (reg) getting very very hot...(whereas not with the 202C or 2181)

Thanks to everyone , I learn everyday with that project , and read the thread everyday also!jajajaj(page 30!Courage....)

Hi all!

After 1 week of soldering, desoldering, testing and everything could be done in a GSSL my problemis alway the same.

I've put 27k and 15k to try but my unit ,without comp is always -6db at the output than the input.

I've read all the tread and all comment about, no shorts etc…etc…etc.

So if someone could help me, please.

Cheers.

[quote author="RedNoise"]As a friend of mine told me , I overkill the power psu...80VA!
[/quote]

80VA ? Do you intend to generate a 3D hologram of your meter wit a few lazers ? :green:

What did you use ? Brand + model ?
What voltages you power transformer gives at the secondaries ?

[quote author="RedNoise"]
Edit:May I build a heatshrink for both regulator??I mean a common heatshrink?[/quote]

NOOOOOO !

eD

EDITED : if you look at the datasheets of your regulators, you'll understand why you can't do that. :wink:

BTW, it's "heatsink" not "heatshrink". "heatshrink" = qui rétrécit à la chaleur.

[quote author="RedNoise"]I started reading that very interestring thread , but didn't find the reason why my "2181" version do not comp...
[/quote]

Maybe because you've just started... :wink: Maybe you haven't reach the page where the answer is. :grin: It's a long one, but i'm pretty sure all the problems have been treated.

[quote author="RedNoise"]I
One question again:Does the 202X eat more power from the psu?Psu's (reg) getting very very hot...(whereas not with the 202C or 2181)
[/quote]

Have you got the datasheets ?

[quote author="ChrioN"]All the partlists says 9 pcs of ceramic 100pF capacitors, but it seems to be 10??[/quote]

This has been answered in this thread in January 2006 :wink:

Yes indeed, it's 10.

eD

[quote author="RedNoise"]... The problem with heatshrink is that there is not so much place ...

Edit:May I build a heatshrink for both regulator??I mean a common heatshrink?[/quote]

Why not. Keep the regulators isolated from the heatsink and you'll be fine.
Using your case ground will make a comfortable large heatsink. Use short wires to connect the regulators to the pcb and make sure to use isolation kits for both 7815 and 7915 regulators as the 7915 has its input voltage (will short) and the 7815 has 0V potential (will make a ground loop if there is a second connection between 0V and case) at their metal sheet.

Rotating the transformer to keep the outgoing wires at the farmost distance to your pcb and xlr's may help problems with hum at 50/60Hz. Twisting the secondary wires tightly may give further help.

Btw. Congrats to your build :thumb: .

[quote author="vertiges"]BTW, it's "heatsink" not "heatshrink". "heatshrink" = qui rétrécit à la chaleur.[/quote]
Tooooh!!!I meant heatSINK!!!!thank you vertiges for all the support!!
Mine trafo are "talema 2X15v 80VA (rs or farnell) but I've just bought 30VA.It gave just a little bit less humm and buzz , but I still have problem.In fact the most buzz problem is when the makeup is at max.Also , when I'm "quite quiet" on one out , the buzz is louder on the other and vice versa!!!
I trying , I will find.
thanks again!!

rednoise,

What's the frequency of the hum 60Hz, or 120Hz (you're in Paris, right ?)
Does moving the power transformer change anything ?
Does it hum even with nothing connected to the input ?

2 interesting threads :

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=27700
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=341194&highlight=&sid=da40a9ae4f71bb64799be020be28166b

eD

EDITED : when you said "when I'm "quite quiet" on one out , the buzz is louder on the other and vice versa!!! " What did you mean exactely ?

Hi guys. Read this thread and tried search, but couldn't find anyone with the exact same prolem as me. My unit has a HPF board on the sidechain.

The right channel works as you'd expect. However, the left channel, while passing clean audio, doesn't respond to changes in threshold or makeup gain.

I've looked at my input and output connections, and they're wired correctly. Anyone have any suggestions where else I could look?

Thanks,

Craig

Latest posts

Back