GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, so i have a mono drum track go out to my gssl both channels and it comes back and i check the phase and its going everywhere

this is the original loop straight up the middle
Mono.jpg

this is the gssl bypassed and the phase is all over the place
Crazyphase.jpg

i have no idea what's going on any help would be awesome

Zjcc56

Ive gone through a bunch of pages but cant find the topic. I have a slight gain difference between the 2 channels even in bypass. It seems to be around 6 db. Any thoughts?

[quote author="Chrome Heart"]Ive gone through a bunch of pages but cant find the topic. I have a slight gain difference between the 2 channels even in bypass. It seems to be around 6 db. Any thoughts?[/quote]
You already checked for a short between pin 6/7 of NE5532 in the inverting output stage?

Thanks. I did fint a small solder bridge at pins 3 and 4 and took it out. NOW, I get hardly any gain and the meter pins when I power it on. ???!!
It seemed to function fine before clearing up the solder bridge. What happened?

Well I snugged all the op amps into the sockets and, presto! Sounds great.
I also had to solder the VCA's into the sockets because they were so loose. Is this a common problem with the sockets? I got them from Digikey.
Heres the comp. Im waiting for a new front panel from Front Panel Express
Thanks to all the pros here for help from the archives. Greg, Gyraf, SSLTech and others. Im making more for sure. :guinness: :guinness: :thumb:

2hhzz35.jpg

[quote author="Chrome Heart"]
I also had to solder the VCA's into the sockets because they were so loose. Is this a common problem with the sockets? I got them from Digikey.
[/quote]

Are you sure you "pushed" the VCA into the sockets enough ?
You've kinda to push hard and the pins have to be entirely in the socket...

eD

I dont think I would like to push any harder. It feels like if I do the pins will crush. I dont think it should require that much force. I think its just a crummy fit.

Chrome,

SSL11.jpg

On this pic (found in my GSSL pics directory :wink: ) you can see the THAT are completly "pushed inside" the socket.

It' not easy to do, you have to hold it firmly and press perpendiculary.
Often the pins bend instead of entering in the sockets holes.

What I do is I put the VCAs in the sockets "half way" until I'm sure there is no problem, or until the troubleshooting is done. When everything is correct I push them completely in the holes.

I hope I explain it clearly... My english is terrible... :oops:

eD

Yes, secondaries, my bad! My post should read:
I just measured the voltage on the cecondaries of my power transformer, and I'm getting 18.3V and -18.3V. This seems to be a bit high, or is it OK?
I'm using Amveco part #TE62063-ND.

Thanks,

Craig

vertiges. Did you split a pair of 16 pin sockets for your vca's or did you actually find 8 pin sockets somewhere?

Craig,

Those voltages seem normal to me.
The surplus of volts will be dropped by the regulators.

Just be sure you get +/- 15 volts after the regulation.

BTW, the TE62063-ND is probably the power transformer the more used for the GSSL.

eD

[quote author="Chrome Heart"]vertiges. Did you split a pair of 16 pin sockets for your vca's or did you actually find 8 pin sockets somewhere?[/quote]

Yes, I split a 16 pins socket with a small metal saw. (It's painfull :wink:)

I'm not even sure 8 pins in a row sockets do exist... :?:

eD

yes I split mine too. I couldnt find 8 pin in a row sockets anywhere. next time try cutting them with a jewellers saw. its fast, and makes a very clean cut.

[quote author="Chrome Heart"]next time try cutting them with a jewellers saw. its fast, and makes a very clean cut.[/quote]

Thanks for the info... :thumb:

eD

My unit is compressing and sounds great, but my meter isn't moving (the only time it moves is if I adjust the threshold, when I turn it right, it pegs, when I turn it left, it faintly bounces then quits). It's a Ptwonkid Behri meter. I've tried adding 1k1 resistor on top of the 2k on the switch board as suggested on a different thread, but still no movement. Any tips?

Thanks,

Craig

More info on my posts above: It's wasn't compressing as I'd previously thought. It seems when a signal goes above the threshold, it totally clamps down on the signal (to almost no sound), then slowly rises back up as per the release setting. Here's what the waveforms look like (it's a drum track):
wave.JPG

Long release on left, short release on right. Anybody else had similar problems?

EDIT: I have one of Greg's sidechain boards installed. There is a pad labeled GND. Should that go to my chassis ground?

Craig

Latest posts

Back