GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You’re right, there’s no mention.
I’m not an expert on modern components. Maybe they’re good at handling that kind of a heat and will survive for the next 20 years when having your equipment turned on 6 hours a day.
Or maybe only 2 years, idk.

Try feel those components after having your unit on for 1 minute, you’ll almost burn your finger, that’s how hot they get.

So yeah, it wouldn’t hurt to install heat sinks. But I wouldn’t make a new purchase order from mouser just to get 2 heat sinks, if I were you, with the whole shipping prices and all..
Thanks, yeah will test to see how it gets and next mouser order, will definitely add some. Thanks for the info and a lot of your previous posts helped me a lot trouble shooting my Gold Can errors, so thanks again! :)

Hello everybody and happy new year !

Sharing some images of my almost completed unit.

I had the unconventional idea of integrating it into a guitar pedal, and it performs exceptionally well!
My intention was to incorporate a portable compressor into my live set's mix bus, complete with an additional boost option.
I opted for the Creative Clowns PCBs for testing purposes and they are from good quality IMHO.

GSSL 2.jpg

I enhanced the output by adding a Lundahl LL1521 with two switchable ratios. They give a crazy extra 7db if needed. In/outputs are with jack sockets and a hardbypass circuit.

The VU meter was an old idea from well-known member Silvas and it works surprisingly well ! Thanks a lot for sharing this !!!
You can find more info on this topic:

GSSL 3.jpg

Most of the wiring utilises shielded cables. The toroidal transformer is housed in an external case, ensuring near noiseless operation.
Integrated with the TURBO-mod, Side-chain filter, THAT 2180C for the side-chain and the 2181C for VCA emulation, along with numerous trimmers.

GSSL 1.JPG

I've implemented Matt Fisher's resistor changes for the distortion trimmers. Despite observing slight movement on the scope, I can't discern a significant audible difference. I plan to experiment with a double potentiometer for control, it has been extensively discussed in this community. Before diving in, any guidance or hints would be appreciated?

M

Last edited:
Hello everybody and happy new year !

Sharing some images of my almost completed unit.

I had the unconventional idea of integrating it into a guitar pedal, and it performs exceptionally well!
My intention was to incorporate a portable compressor into my live set's mix bus, complete with an additional boost option.
I opted for the Creative Clowns PCBs for testing purposes and they are from good quality IMHO.

View attachment 120567

I enhanced the output by adding a Lundahl LL1521 with two switchable ratios. They give a crazy extra 7db if needed. In/outputs are with jack sockets and a hardbypass circuit.

The VU meter was an old idea from well-known member Silvas and it works surprisingly well ! Thanks a lot for sharing this !!!
You can find more info on this topic:

View attachment 120565

Most of the wiring utilises shielded cables. The toroidal transformer is housed in an external case, ensuring near noiseless operation.
Integrated with the TURBO-mod, Side-chain filter, THAT 2180C for the side-chain and the 2181C for VCA emulation, along with numerous trimmers.

View attachment 120566

I've implemented Matt Fisher's resistor changes for the distortion trimmers. Despite observing slight movement on the scope, I can't discern a significant audible difference. I plan to experiment with a double potentiometer for control, it has been extensively discussed in this community. Before diving in, any guidance or hints would be appreciated?

M
that is impressive!
I see you got the PS in an external case.
Is the PS ventilated? The box you have it in is little small.

..........I've implemented Matt Fisher's resistor changes for the distortion trimmers. Despite observing slight movement on the scope, I can't discern a significant audible difference. I plan to experiment with a double potentiometer for control, it has been extensively discussed in this community. Before diving in, any guidance or hints would be appreciated?

M
A saturation "doser" (like tape overload "fx") would really be cool ,

so,
this projects has begun as "simple" stereo bus compressor
and over time expanded...
now a (very cool) unit have to include:
Hardware (relay) bypass
Sidechain / super, filter
Compression blender (dry/wet)
Outpup with IC or Xformer like a-la "Cavendish" option with selector switch
( also a second dry-wet blender for mix between IC and Xformer would not be at all "evil" )
and now as the last but not the final
the distortion/saturation "doser" cool add on as well
to make it even more useful : )

that is impressive!
I see you got the PS in an external case.
Is the PS ventilated? The box you have it in is little small.

The PSU is still on the main pcb however the toroidal transformer is outside in the second case and it's cold as ice.. so no need for ventilation.., I've implemented the 7915 and the 7815 (shielded!!!) on the chassis. so the heat goes trough the case itself and it's very stable. the 7812 is on the pcb with a little heatsink to catch heat from the 4 relays on the hard bybass circuit.

I like the breadboard. My kind of thing.

Could use the same idea for indicating input and / or output, but would need rectification. Pin 5 of the LM39xx can't read AC.

Making it switchable with the GR to match gain and implementing a trimmer on top of rectification to match scale would be very very nice, thanks for the hint !

A saturation "doser" (like tape overload "fx") would really be cool ,

so,
this projects has begun as "simple" stereo bus compressor
and over time expanded...
now a (very cool) unit have to include:
Hardware (relay) bypass
Sidechain / super, filter
Compression blender (dry/wet)
Outpup with IC or Xformer like a-la "Cavendish" option with selector switch
( also a second dry-wet blender for mix between IC and Xformer would not be at all "evil" )
and now as the last but not the final
the distortion/saturation "doser" cool add on as well
to make it even more useful : )

You forgot to mention to implement a passive equalizer and make it switchable with everything you have mentioned. :D

Hello everyone, how are you?
Now that I have free time I have been thinking something about this wonderful compressor.
Would it be possible to make a power supply in which the toroidal transformer was not needed?
The idea is to make a compressor in a small space that is not a "500 series", totally independent of a lunchbox so that it can be moved with the least possible weight.
thank you so much.

Why when I turn on my gssl sometimes it hangs?
The + pin of the 10-wire cable that powers the controls only receives 0.8mv when this happens.
I have changed regulators and it is still the same

Have you read this thread? I think we have had that before...
Hi, I have been checking the thread for few days can’t seem to find any thing… regarding the - voltages on the vca’s

Just finished my first build 👍 but have problems with the vca voltage and the signal being 10db lower from the original source.. thanks for putting together this amazing project 🍻

Latest posts

Back