GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK,
I have 2 board sets from the Chef just about fully loaded & almost ready to mount in the chassis but have a few questions.

1 - There are 10 100p caps on the board but only 9 listed in all the parts lists I've seen. WHY?

2 - I'm using one of these on the insert of the subgroups unbalanced
& the other one on the master out balanced ...
which would be better for either:

0db (27k - unity) or +6 db (15k)
Which do you guys find MOST useful?????????

3 - I have "ALL" the different VCA's and wonder which are considered the "BEST"? Like I said - 1 for drums & 1 for Master (final) out.

4 - Are there any problems or new changes on the Chef's circuit board I should know about?

5 - Do the switches have to be mounted on the PCB any certain way?

5 - Is the "NEW" sidechain a must have or does this thing kick ass without it? I guess I'm asking should I leave space to add it in later?

I did try reading thru the forum to find answers but didn't find what I needed.

Thank you Mr. Green

1 - There are 10 100p caps on the board but only 9 listed in all the parts lists I've seen. WHY?

Counting error? Mount the board as silk-screened, and you'll be fine.

2 - I'm using one of these on the insert of the subgroups unbalanced
& the other one on the master out balanced ...
which would be better for either:

0db (27k - unity) or +6 db (15k)
Which do you guys find MOST useful?????????

use 27K - you have extra makeup gain to work with.

3 - I have "ALL" the different VCA's and wonder which are considered the "BEST"? Like I said - 1 for drums & 1 for Master (final) out.

THAT2181LB

4 - Are there any problems or new changes on the Chef's circuit board I should know about?

No.

5 - Do the switches have to be mounted on the PCB any certain way?

No, not as far as I can see. We've never had the problem here anyway - and I'm sure we would if it was possible to mis-mount those.

5 - Is the "NEW" sidechain a must have or does this thing kick ass without it? I guess I'm asking should I leave space to add it in later?

Imo, it's a gadget that might be usefull for some things, less for others, but the unit is very, very good as-is. I've never really liked the filtered-sidechain compression - but I rarely do modern bass-and-drum-heavy mixes anyway.

Jakob E.

Jacob,
Thank you very much. :thumb:

One of my final concerns is if I choose the 2181, I'll have to make some changes to make them work & it seems there are a few different opinions about this. Is there a simple bread & butter method to the changes?

:idea: If the side chain is the only affected area with the 218x's, couldn't I use a 215x in the detector circuit only *AND* leave all the components stock or does the circuit still need to be changed? It seems like the most efficient way to use the different VCA's (for their voicing/character - audio path) without having to change the other stuff (ratio's, etc...).

Am I on track here?

BTW, I'm soldering this thing right now & should have it done by morning...long night ahead, can't wait :thumb: :green:

I'm confussed... I thought the 218x messed with the ratio's?

Also, is there any reason you recommend the 2181 over the 2180 (pre-trimmed)?

I have 2150, 2151, 2180 (a,b,c), 2181(a,b,c).

I was thinking, for the drums using 2151's & Master bus the 2180's.

Just make sure to use sockets so you can swap them out easily.

Regarding the question about the "new" sidechain, I just wanted to state here that the board I designed isn't a "new" sidechain. It's simply a buffered high pass filter inserted into the existing sidechain. I've had questions about this in past and some people are under the impression that my board is more than a filter. And I agree with Jakob, GSSL is a great unit as is, but when working with bass heavy material, I find the GSSL can get a bit aggressive and start pumping on the low end. The sidechain filter helps out with this.

I think it's useful... and an easy addition.

HI everybody!

I'd like to know which Vu-meter I have to take for the SSL and Where I can get it in EUROPE or Worldwide.

thanks for help

:grin:

HI,

I was wondering wich 15K I've got to upgrade to 27K to have unity gain? Couldn't found an answer on the thread.

Just tell me wich rsesistor regarding Gyraf's schematics of the compressor

Thanks a lot

Hi,

I definitly have huge trouble achieving my GSSL compressor. I've build two unit and both of them have problem.

On the first one : Audio is passing thru, compression is working, voltage are OK but I've got a huge hum.

On the second one : Audio is passing thru, compression doesn't works (pot are inactive), no hum, but I've got something like DC going out of the unit. At first, The make up gain was working, but after some check it doesn't work anymore. I swapped the IC from one unit to another but now It's still not working and I've got a huge distortion....

In both case I checked the component value, their are the same on both board, Looked for short, couldn't find anything, made some continuity test, but all seems alright...

When I press the IC on their socket, something ??? but what ???? is changing, the strange "DC like" sound of my second unit is changing, but no amelioration at all.

Did I missed something???

O my god I'm so sad, I don't no what to do anymore....

Please help.

OK, just got my GSSL up & running... it's pretty killer BUT - Why is the bypass level so much lower than the original input? It doesn't make for much of a comparison.
:?

Hello,

try some change with the IC, It seems that something is wrong with my second clone in the TL072/74 region because when I replace them with others, the way this strange "DC like" sound is comming change also. It is still ther and really loud but the way it's comming when I powered up the unit is different from one IC to another...

Any suggestion?

And I still have a giant hum on the first unit...

Latest posts

Back