GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Svart"] now, the meter.. is that .1A to the highest or is it like a 1A with .1 resolution?[/quote]

1mA FSD means a meter that takes 1mA for Full-Scale Deflection.

That is, throw in 1mA DC, and the meter shows it's max.

Jakob E.

Hi,

I've got a stuffed board. When I apply a signal to the input. I get signal through the circuit until the VCA input...but there does not seem to be any signal at the VCA output...

I'm using the 2180 VCA. I do not have the trimmer installed on the board, I just left that section blank. Is this ok? If yes,

What kind of range of voltages should I be seeing on the control pins and sym pin (pins 2-4) of the VCA.

Thanks in advance,
jason

Hi Amekable,

Welcome to "The Lab"!

When using the trimmerless 2180, simply leave out the trimmers (and possibly the two 1M resistors between trimmer and VCA)

If you have signal at the VCA input pin, there surely is a problem, because this is a current-input (like the inverting input in a fed-back opamp) and should act like a virtual ground to your incoming signal.

- Check that you have proper supply voltages +/- 12 and +/- 15VDC

- Check VCA orientation (!)

- Check resistor values around VCA's

Your control voltages (at no signal) should be around 0V at the two outputs of the TL072 (pin1 and 7), with a DC offset added when either "threshold" or "makeup gain" is operated.

Jakob E.

hmmm...If you build an ssl with the 215x circuit in lieu of the 202, can you insert a 202 over the 215x circuit (assuming you pull the 215x and 5532 out of the circuit)?

-james

do you mean this one here:?

http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/vumeter.html

Its from Franks DIY page.

Hi guys,

I just finished stuffing the clone's pcb and I now I have to connect the xlrs, I know it's in a thread somewhere I just can't find it.. can anyone please help me out?

by the way I checked my rails and the 12v seems to bo ok. 15v are giving me 14.57v, 14.94v.. is the 14.57 anything to worry about?

thanks for all your help guys...

Keith,

Voltage should be within 5-10% depending on your regulators, so your figures looks right.

Connecting the xlr's shouldn't be a problem?

Look at the component side layout in the .pdf - it says clearly what pins are left, right, in, out, +, and - on the input and output connectors.

- Simply connect ground (0V) to all pin1's
- Connect "+" to pin2 at appropiate xlr's
- Connect "-" to pin3 at appropiate xlr's

Jakob E.

I would be interested in that scale as well. That link from jaydee is for the regular meters. I know it's around here somewhere, because i've seen a few completed ssl's with the edgemeters. Anyone have it?

Thanks,
Brandon

Hi guys,

I tested the clone it works perfectly... it is really transperent on the sound...it's just what I needed... thanks to jakob and to all you guys for the help...

now I am going to try to put it in the case...since I don't have the proper tools it's gonna be a hard time... any suggestions how to cut steel ( next time it will be aluminium thats for sure...)

cheers

What does the * on the gyraf board mean? Sometimes it is even labeled **. And example is (1k*). And, is there only one bridge on the board?Also, how long do the lead wires that connect the 2 boards have to be?

Thanks for your help,

-jay

Jay,

Ignore the *'s on the SSL board, as noted somewhere earlier in this thread. Those are only for my own reference.

There is much more than one wire link on the main pcb - more like 15-20.'

Jakob E.

but the 2k labled ** is for the meter sesitivity.

wires should be always short but here they contain control voltage only.

use only one bridge in the pcb!! chosse between onboard and external x-former.

I'm nearly finished with my ssl clone, but I've got a couple questions about some parts.

I'm using a lighted pushbutton switch for my bypass button. How would I wire this switch? (mouser part: 653-A165L-AGA-24D-2). I would like to wire it so that the makeup gain is only when the compressor is in.

When looking at my dbx 2151s, is the little circle mark on the vca showing me where pin 1 is?

Thanks!

I'm having problems with my SSL...

it seems to work properly over all except for three things:

one side is quieter than the other.
there is a hum that lessens in bypass mode but is still there.
and there is an over all high roll off.

I've checked all my resistors. have all jumpers in place, am grounded from one point which is off the input jack ground. Voltages seem to be all right.

Any Ideas?

So here is what my bypass switch looks like:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/pxpx83/switch.jpg

The lettering on the switch from top to bottom is NC NO C. I need to put a jumper on the control board to get rid of makeup gain when the compressor is out, but how do I wire to the switch from the board?

Thanks!

If you put the jumper on the board, the makeup gain will ALWAYS be active. With that switch you need to use some sort of relay to break the connection to the makeup gain (where the jumper goes) when you are bypassed.

One half of the switch will control the switch LED

One half will control the bypass function (grounding part of the sidechain)

A relay (driven by the same voltage used for the LED, controlled by the same portion of the switch that controls the LED) will break the connection to the makeup gain.

I wish I could draw up a schematic! I will give it a try here.

Ian

EDIT: Does anyone know of a good (free) schematic capture program that will export to GIF?? I use PCB elegence to design my boards, but it does not export to GIF! I've tried taking screen shots, but they turn out crappy.

Latest posts

Back