GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my my meter for the SSL clone today. It's a Sifam AL29B, it has a 0-30 scale. Does anyone know where I could get a template for a 0-10 scale?

Gyraf,

can you please point out on the picture which one of the 100pF is the one to change with 100nF. I already bought the exact number of capacitors and would like to use them accordingly. Sorry for being such an ignorant in this field, but I still don't get what are you trying to explain to me :oops: this is my first such project and I still don't understand many things so I need to see this pointed out on the schematic picture.

Gyraf,

sorry to be so stubborn but I just bought yesterday one of the 100pF less per PCB and one more of 100nF per PCB so I can't just go with the PCB layout at the moment coz I don't have the proper amount of elements needed.

PS: I also don't live in any big town where all the stores are to just jump across the street and buy some more capacitors...

Then sub 100p for the 100n (marked .1 on the board) that is in the feedback path (out to inv-input) of the vca-driver 5534. Refer to schematic and layout for position.

Jakob E.

[quote author="Purusha"]Jakob,

I give up :sad: still don't understand a thing where and what exactly...[/quote]

No, no , don't give up now. You're about to learn something here...
First check this exelent reading stuff on franks website called
op amps easy explained...
There you'll find an explanation about the 5534 opamp, which is the opamp Jakob is talking about.
The "vca-driver 5534" is the NE5534 next to the VCA (dbx/that whatever).
In the lower right corner of the GSSL schematic on Jakob's website you'll see the "DBX 2150 to DBX 202 emulation" circuit. The NE5534 in this circuit is the "vca-driver 5534".
Now we need to find the "100n (marked .1 on the board) that is in the feedback path (out to inv-input). Pin 6 on the NE5534 is the output and pin 2 is the inverse input. Between pin 2 and 6 we see a 1K resistor and a 100p cap. This cap is the one Jakob's refering to. It's a little confusing because on the PCB this cap is market as .1 thus beeing 100n.
There've been many questions about whether this cap should be 100p or 100n. I belive the answer was that it can be both...

Now the short answer to your question: it's the cap between the two 1K resistors next to the VCA. On of the two resistors has a * market next to it.
You can ignore the *....

Now the short answer to your question: it's the cap between the two 1K resistors next to the VCA. On of the two resistors has a * market next to it.

This was the answer I was looking for :grin: Thanks!

I have another question. All 25 capacitors marked .1 are by default 100n so why am I changing something here at all?

I did have a quick look into Franks website about the 5534 opamps but it's all still like a great unknown world to me ... I guess I don't have the right mind-frame for a DIY knowledge since it all becomes boring to me when matters come to very detailed theoretical fields...

But don't give up on me :green:

hi Purusha: Just wanted to offer a bit of advise. When doing a project, never order the EXACT amount for anything, unless it's a very expensive component like a transformer or meter. Always order a few extra resistors, caps, doides, regulators, etc. In the end you might spend a few extra bucks on parts but it can save you some serious time and headaches later. Not to mention you'll build up a nice selection of parts in you own "Lab." :thumb:

You might be right Greg, but I am building 8 units so this adds a little more than just one capacitor or resistor per PCB. I don't know if I will ever again need this things after this project. Although I am thinking already to build a solid state Pultec soon. I also don't like pilling up stuff at home which I almost never use in my life. But thanks for the advise.

BTW. The PCBs for hi-pass came to the Slovenian Custom's office. They are asking me where is the bill for this so they can take some money from me blah, blah, :twisted: Did you add any letter in the package?

What about the 25 100n capacitors marked as .1, are this of the same value as the one which is mentioned to replace the 100pF?

I mean you don't have to buy an extra regulator or part per unit, but for example, just have one or two spare regulators just in case one of the untis decides to blow up... but anyway, this is your biz :roll:

No I didn't include any paper inside the PCBs.

The 0.1 on the board is 0.1u, which is 100n, so yes to your question. As Jakob told you, you don't need to replace any 100p with 100n. Just put 100p where it says 100p on the board. If you don't have any additional 100p caps, then get 8 more. It might cost you another buck. I personally don't know which cap is in question. I just used 100p... I assume it's omething about high frequency stability.

[quote author="Greg"]I mean you don't have to buy an extra regulator or part per unit, but for example, just have one or two spare regulators just in case one of the untis decides to blow up... but anyway, this is your biz :roll: [/quote]

I understand your point believe me, but that is just me...

No I didn't include any paper inside the PCBs.

Shouldn't be any big problem...

The 0.1 on the board is 0.1u, which is 100n, so yes to your question. As Jakob told you, you don't need to replace any 100p with 100n. Just put 100p where it says 100p on the board. If you don't have any additional 100p caps, then get 8 more. It might cost you another buck. I personally don't know which cap is in question. I just used 100p... I assume it's omething about high frequency stability.

I see. Thanks.

[quote author="Purusha"]Hello everybody,

Do I need two L/R send/return sockets for the external sidechain or just one?
Thanks.[/quote]

One stereo jack will suffice. Use the tip as a send and the ring as the return. You could also use one mono jack for send and one mono jack for return if you'd rather do it that way, though it's a bit cleaner to do it with the stereo jack.

Cheers,
--
Don

Thanks, Don. So there is no separate L and R channel for external sidechain. Than I have to inform the guy who is making all the holes into my many SSL chassis to make one less :grin:

[quote author="TornadoTed"]I got my my meter for the SSL clone today. It's a Sifam AL29B, it has a 0-30 scale. Does anyone know where I could get a template for a 0-10 scale?[/quote]

http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/vumeter.html

[quote author="Purusha"]Thanks, Don. So there is no separate L and R channel for external sidechain.[/quote]

That's correct. Just one send and receive from whatever outboard filter you're using.

Cheers,
--
Don

Also, please try to keep all questions regarding the external sidechain high pass in the thread dedicated to that. It's at the bottom in the META. I think it would be better this way since this isn't a standard feature for the SSL, and it would keep all the questions pertaining to the HPF in one place. And also making searching much easier so people won't have to sift through this thread for that info. :thumb:

But yes, idylldon knows what he speaks of !!!

Back