GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="gyraf"]I think that is the -12V point (regulated by 79L12) - not a 12V point..

Check that your regulator is the right type..

Jakob E.[/quote]

thx Jakob, you are right, i have inside 78L12 :evil:

[quote author="gyraf"]
the threshold pot, turned clockwise , fades the power led down?

We've had that before - search the archives..
Jakob E.[/quote]
I have the same issue and need some help trouble shooting. I searched the forum for a solution, but could not find one.
My GSSL is not passing audio and turning my threshold fully clockwise will turn off my Power LED.
Where is the first place I should check? Maybe the pot is on backwards?
TIA
Dan

Check that pot is mounted right - and check throughly that the pot wiper is not shorted to anything - neither on the control board, nor on the main board. Re-check sequence of inter-board cabling.

Jakob E.

Hi All!

I have another problem with my GSSL.
I have on PCB THAT 2180LB and i considered this options of Matt ( http://diy.fischerworks.com/gssl_vca.shtml ) Is this order or no ???

Trought my Gssl goes audio signal, however compressor doesn't work.
Control panel doesen't work. You think that i destroyed some elemet on circuit with former problem ???

[quote author="ixi"][quote author="gyraf"]I think that is the -12V point (regulated by 79L12) - not a 12V point..

Jakob E.[/quote]

thx Jakob, you are right, i have inside 78L12 :evil:[/quote]

thx 4 help :razz:

[quote author="ixi"]Hi All!

I have another problem with my GSSL.
I have on PCB THAT 2180LB and i considered this options of Matt ( http://diy.fischerworks.com/gssl_vca.shtml ) Is this order or no ???

Control panel doesen't work. You think that i destroyed some elemet on circuit with former problem ???

[quote author="ixi"][quote author="gyraf"]I think that is the -12V point (regulated by 79L12) - not a 12V point..

Jakob E.[/quote]

thx Jakob, you are right, i have inside 78L12 :evil:[/quote]

thx 4 help :razz:[/quote]

Any idea ???

Hi everibody.

I just finished a GSSL compressor wich is my first DIY project, the unit seems to work pretty well except that the Ratio control doesn't seem to change anything. Nevertheless the attack control appears to increase the gain reduction when fed with a sinuswave...

Any clue ?

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english...

Poom,

Have you tried actually calculating ratios? the unit changes threshold slightly when you switch ratio, you know.. (see circuit description)

Also the attack/release setting will influence amount of gain reduction - like with any analogue compressor.

Chances are that you have a normally-functioning unit..

Jakob E.

Thank you Gyraf, I made my tests with a sinewave, so I don't think that the time controls would change the gain reduction that much (more than 4dBs), besides when compressing about 8dBs, changing the ratios does'nt change the gain reduction...

[quote author="gyraf"]Check that pot is mounted right - and check throughly that the pot wiper is not shorted to anything - neither on the control board, nor on the main board. Re-check sequence of inter-board cabling.

Jakob E.[/quote]
Ok.. got her up and running. Threshold was wired backwards and I was missing the 5.1K resistors that replaced the 3.9K (I'm using the THAT 2180).

[quote author="ixi"]
Control panel doesen't work. You think that i destroyed some elemet on circuit with former problem ???[/quote]
Oh boy... seems I have almost the same issue. My unit is in constant bypass mode. I can see compression on the meter, and adjusting the controls changes the way the meter responds, but I hear no compression.
bummer.
dan

[quote author="poomka"]Thank you Gyraf, I made my tests with a sinewave, so I don't think that the time controls would change the gain reduction that much (more than 4dBs), besides when compressing about 8dBs, changing the ratios does'nt change the gain reduction...[/quote]

..again, interaction between attack timing and compression amount depends on many things, like release setting, frequency and such..

And "changing the ratios does'nt change the gain reduction" is often a mis-interpretation of the way the circuit works. Threshold is changed with ratio, often giving you the same amount of GR when switching between ratios

Jakob E.

I checked the voltages today the +12/-15/+15 are OK but I got -22V at the -12V point !!

Could anyone tell me where the problem could be ?

Thanks

I have on PCB THAT 2180LB and i considered this options of Matt ( http://diy.fischerworks.com/gssl_vca.shtml ) Is this ok or no ???

Please just say corrct way on not correct way :roll:

Compressor now work but have problem with compression. On circumstances work too much, (he just nails him), on circumstances nothig work ???? any changes when change threshold, ratio,,...

Any idea :?:

thx

Guys i wanna know i did ordered by error 1/8 watts resistors instead of 1/4....could i use them or there's no way?

thank you...

I'm finishing up a unit for a friend and everytime I fire it up, the 10r resistor which is just ahead of the 78l12 starts smoking. My other rails are fine, but that one isn't happy. I've changed the rectifier, the 78l12 and tested that the 10r resistor is correct. I figured that it's an incorrect resistance somewhere else, or a short. I've check the entire control board, I've tried to check the rest, especially where the 12v signal flows. I've even disconnected the led to make sure that has nothing to do with it. Any idea?s

Oh yeah, I have no vcas or opamps in yet---which wasn't a problem on my unit.

I'd still look for a solder short. The GSSL boards are notorious for solder bridges that are hard to find.. don't ask how i know.. :green:

Back