GSSL SuperSC board

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="dinesh"]Hi Peter,

I wasn't aware of that. My apologies for this. Should I edit my message?

Regards
Dinesh[/quote]
Hi,

I don't think the use of the 't-word' could still be corrected, it's been used qite a few times already. And I'm not sure if it's a real problem at all, couldn't say.
But I wouldn't use it for legending on PCBs that might be sold in groupbuys etc.
Note that it's just my interpretation of keeping everybody out of trouble, others might know more.

[quote author="clintrubber"]
I do think that everybody starting with software PCB-designs for 'fabrication' should have done at least a few Vero-jobs, preferrably without any advance planning. That's the way you learn. [/quote]

I don't see any similarities there: :?

The pitfalls of PCB-designs for fabrication are totally different.
The designs are totally different.
Everything is totally different. The only thing which is somewhat similar is that there are components which needs to be placed.
I don't see anything that could be learned for PCB-designing by stuffing Vero boards first.

It's like saying that you should first learn to ride a bicycle by using carrying wheels which is also completely different to really riding bycycles and doesn't give you any advantage. :razz:

[quote author="dinesh"]
I Can do the SuperSC PCB in $10USD and the minimum quantity is 20 & if we can make 50 then the price will be $8usd.
[/quote]

Well, you really seem to want to start somewhat like a competition here.

I'm a (very) slow one but I already aimed to start a PCB groupbuy back in november 2006:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=227842#227842
[yeah, the minimum quantity was 20, too, and the price is lower than I remembered]

We should talk about that.
Where are you located btw. (would be nice if you would update your profile)?
Maybe it makes sense if we would split up world domination. :grin: :wink:
[if your location is not inside Europe]

I'll put a naked woman on the silkscreen. That would make the winner. :grin:

[quote author="dinesh"]I am from INDIA.[/quote]

Ok, you take Great Britain ( :wink: ), I the rest of Europe (the people who like the Euro :twisted:) and you can have the rest of the world or further split with 12afael. :green:

I'm very broadminded, ain't I? :grin:

[quote author="sonicwarrior"][quote author="clintrubber"]
I do think that everybody starting with software PCB-designs for 'fabrication' should have done at least a few Vero-jobs, preferrably without any advance planning. That's the way you learn. [/quote]

I don't see any similarities there: :? [/quote]
Can understand the 'confusion'. I should have added that 'in general' doing some circuits on Vero can be a good thing to do.
As in: taking away the fear by just doing it - it isn't hard at all. And by doing it you learn what it is and what it isn't (- a fairly general applicable remark...)

My remark was actually caused by the project-halt some people make for various circuits 'since no ready-made boards available'. We've seen that happen for various circuits here, even for very simple and non-critical ones. Those people could use a little push to try Vero.

(Note I'm not saying you were among them :thumb: )

BTW, imho there's a similarity with circuit simulations & back-of-envelope calculations:
(help, can't design since no models available :oops: )
I recall the statement (from PRR ?) that nobody shouldn't be allowed to touch a simulator before having filled ten envelope-backsides with circuit-drawings & wet-finger calculations

End of rant :wink:

Ok, you take Great Britain ( ), I the rest of Europe (the people who like the Euro ) and you can have the rest of the world or further split with 12afael.

PINKY: Cerebro, what are we going to do tonight?
CEREBRO: The same we do all nights Pinky...
Try to conquer the world!

:grin:

seriously, I am a little far from everything and the shipments would rise, so you can divide the world between both :wink:

@Dinesh:

What's up?

I didn't had the time to test the board so far and as the interest in this board seems to be very small I think it's best to give you the whole world dominance. :wink: :cool:

[quote author="sonicwarrior"]@Dinesh:

What's up?

I didn't had the time to test the board so far and as the interest in this board seems to be very small I think it's best to give you the whole world dominance. :wink: :cool:[/quote]

:grin: I was afraid of you WARRIOR :green:

I am testing my board today in my studio.

Tell the story in evening. :thumb:

Regards
dinesh

[quote author="dinesh"]I was afraid of you WARRIOR :green: [/quote]

My weapon of choice is music, that's why I call myself sonicwarrior. :cool:

Looking forward for your story. :green:

Hi SonicWarrior,

So, Here is my story. havn't got much time in studio. But I have checked by sending an input to SuperSC board & from 60Hz to 250Hz sounds gets sharper. Further in Medium & loud setting it sounds again sharpen more & looks like a deep low cut filter. Actually I don't know what TH*UST means. :oops:
But when I connect this to GSSL, I feel little diffrence in sound even at LOUD setting. I prefferd the sound at 250Hz.
I do some more experiments tomorrow. Can I check this by sending PINK or White noise? Or anyother way to check this.

Hope to Hear you Weapon on dineshgautam.com (at) gmail.com

Regards
Dinesh

you can check the filters with audio tester or visual analyzer.

the filter is on the sidechain so if you put a low frequency wave and you use the filter , more you cut, less you compress.
it is designed for use when you have a big low frequency sound and the energy of this sound is gating the vca and compressing too much.

Hi 12afael,

But I Don't know what Loud setting do to the sound? I have checked it & at Loud setting, sounds compressed more & over all level gets down a little. There is some sort of diffrence in sound but I cann't explain it how it sounds. :?

I think tomorrow I check it again.

Best Regards
Dinesh

the sound depend on the program, if it don`t have low tones it should sound close to the original gssl.

Rafael

I finally got it finished and it works great. Although I haven't used it a lot, I really liked the Thrust 1 setting on first impression.

ssc1.jpg

So now there are two "hidden" settings after the external setting on the sidechain section, as you can see below.

ssc2.jpg

thanks to all the people who got this design going, and big thanks to Zeke who did the etch for me!! Now on to the "oxford" mode :cool:

cheers, Marten

Ok, the layout has been tested.

If you are interested have a look at the following thread:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=23113

I've set up a page at sdiy.de which is currently only available in german:
http://www.sdiy.de/de/projects/superSC.html

If you have further ideas for improvements: They are always welcome.

Today my other GSSL got its super sidechain filter (thanks again Joachim for making boards available :thumb:) and I took the chance to make some measurements with fuzzmeasure. Have a look at the frequency plots of the various filter settings:

I left out two HP settings (90 and 130) for clarity.

enjoy!
Marten

Hello,

I finally finished my GSSL bus comp with Super SC Board. It's all working, but I noticed that without the board (only the two 47k wired) I have more signal, and more gain reduction... I already regulate all the 2 trims (VR2 and VR3), as said in the schematic... but VR1 (responsable for the output gain of the Super SC PCB, I think) is already at the maximum position (10k) and I see less gain reduction than the 2x 47k wired, even in the "sc off" position... I hope my ears and eyes don't induce me an error, because is pretty difficult compare, changing the things... Could I change the 10k Trim by a 15k for extra gain? I don't know... please help me!

Cheers :guinness:

Eddie :thumb:

[quote author="SaMpLeGoD"]Hello,

I finally finished my GSSL bus comp with Super SC Board. It's all working, but I noticed that without the board (only the two 47k wired) I have more signal, and more gain reduction... I already regulate all the 2 trims (VR2 and VR3), as said in the schematic... but VR1 (responsable for the output gain of the Super SC PCB, I think) is already at the maximum position (10k) and I see less gain reduction than the 2x 47k wired, even in the "sc off" position... I hope my ears and eyes don't induce me an error, because is pretty difficult compare, changing the things... Could I change the 10k Trim by a 15k for extra gain? I don't know... please help me!

Cheers :guinness:

Eddie :thumb:[/quote]

I forgot why in my schematic R12 & R13 are 20k and not 47k (probably the previous SC-circuit from Steffan gives an explanation), but OK, that might or might not be relevant here.

About increasing VR1, yep, no problem. But it looks like a remedy for a problem elsewhere; I don't recall previous postings that had an alike problem.

BTW, you're sure you're using an opamp for X3 that has adequeate drive ? (like the suggested '5532)

Regards,

Peter

I have had the same experience, you have to move the threshold control further down to get the same compression as without the sidechain board.

You don't have to mess with VR1 though, it should be ok to just increase the resistor in series with VR1 (R14 @ 1k). This stage is an inverting amplifier with an input resistor of 12k, so in order to get a voltage gain of -1.0 you'd need R14 to be at least 2k, to make the feedback resistance go up to 12k. Please correct me if I'm mistaken on this.

I presume this design was actually made for earlier versions of the GSSL boards where there was always the trouble with the compressor going into gain reduction too early. This was at some point adressed with the 47k added to the + leg of the threshold pot.

cheers, Marten

Latest posts

Back