Guitar amp resistors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which combo to use Carbon comp 1/2W or Carbon Film 1W Mallory or orange drop caps

• Carbon comp 1/2W with Mallory caps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carbon comp 1/2W with orange drop caps

• Carbon Film 1W with Mallory caps

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
[quote author="JohnRoberts"]Yes, stuff varies but IMO 99% of what we hear is simple frequency response variations. [/quote]Yar, I agree. To my ear Metal Film/Foil resistors pass high freqs best, Carbon Film are in the middle, and Carbon Comp at the bottom.

No, I've never done a scientific test. That's just what my ears tell me.

[quote author="Gus"]You can measure things.[/quote]
Maybe I could and should .... From my experience .... techs love numbers and graphs .... musicians love sounds.

I would love to see a response graph of various types of modern resistors in the audio or even electric guitar range.

I'm still not convinced. HiFi and professional audio maybe, but for guitar amps I am not too sure. Maybe the amps I play are too crude.

I would love to see a response graph of various types of modern resistors in the audio or even electric guitar range.

I'm still not convinced. HiFi and professional audio maybe, but for guitar amps I am not too sure. Maybe the amps I play are too crude.

Lead dress effects tone as well. If a coupling cap has long curvy leads, or is pulled tight in place. Board material also, fiberglass is alot brighter than fishpaper. I believe this is one of the major sound differences between old Fender and Marshall.

[quote author="rodabod"]I would love to see a response graph of various types of modern resistors in the audio or even electric guitar range.[/quote]

I was thinking about this too, which is why I dug this thread up.

I can run frequency response graphs using swept sine waves on whichever resistors anyone wants to send me. If I get a second, I'll compare some that I have laying around if I have any usable "pairs" (would need the same resistance value of the two different types to make it a fair test).

Leigh

1/2W metal film resistors (for low noise) and orange AND mallory. that is if you don`t want a vintage tone .

put just orange drop and the sound will be a little hard, if you put some mallorys, it will sound with a better balance.

When I build something and it works I am usually so overjoyed that I acomplished that, that I don't ever mess around with it. I guess I'm not very adventerous that way (yet). I did however, recap one of my Hiwatts with Orange drops and then switched to Mallory 150s. To my ears the 150s were noticeably smoother sounding.

[quote author="rodabod"]The sort of people that make amps with exotic film caps, etc. probably listen to Steve Vai.[/quote]
Hmm, has that been possible so far then, listening to him ?

That's probably harsh too, and I'm sure some of you will probably disagree.
Have to add that I sure enjoy(ed) some early albums from Vai & Satriani, but it's not my cup of tea anymore... guess I got spoilt by stuff from people who can't play as well, but do manage to make (better) music :wink:

I like big ass carbon comp resistors because I can read them without a magnifying glass, + high voltage isn't a concern. Orange drops are cheap, consistent, and again readily available in 600 volt flavors.

Latest posts

Back