gun safe/vault.....(and squirrels)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up hunting squirrels in mid-state California, however they are of the ground-burrowing type, so not to much worry with them going up trees. The local wheat and corn farmers with cattle loved us coming out to the local farms and shooting as many as possible, because the holes are often hidden in low brush, and the cattle would step in them and break their ankles. And the hawks perpetually circling overhead would take the free meals within 10 minutes.

What worked wonders if they were spooked was a squirrel call. It was a small handheld combination of bellows and a whistle, and when you flicked it with a finger it would make a barking noise that sounded a lot like a barking squirrel. If they were skittish, a few barks and invariably they would stop, stand straight up, and try to see where it was coming from. A 5-second pause was all that was needed. Might be enough to give you time to squeeze off a shot. I'm guessing the tree variety would respond the same. If you tape it to your rifle you can even flick it while looking down the sights.
I just ordered a squirrel call. I'll report back if it works.

JR

I use a long handle axe to poke an appropriate size and depth hole in the ground, then I use the butt of the axe head to drive the tree spikes all the way down into the hole. My case of tree spikes arrived today, but I am not going to do that kind of work out in my yard with 100'+ temperatures.
I've grown fond of my cordless drill with a fat paddle bit when needing to make holes for things... Guess they probably make augers for drills too but never tried one...
..yeah it's been freaking hot.
Been goofing with my truck's ac off and on the last couple of weeks trying to figure things out... it randomly doesn't want to stay running.. Definitely electrical though... Computer deciding to think I'm turning ac off I'm thinking...
Nightmare if it's raining and having no ac... have a rigged up momentary jumper to keep it from acting up atm...

Last edited:
This morning walking back from my mail box I saw a squirrel up in my pecan tree chewing on nuts. I hit the squirrel call and can't say that I saw any response. The squirrel ultimately noticed me and left the area, last seen about 50' up a big pine tree and still climbing.

JR

Back