GZ34 after a pair of diodes and RC filter (Genz Benz Black Pearl guitar amp)?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the chassis. It fits nicely with room to spare on the Mesa halfback 2x12 it's going to reside upon. I have a slightly oversized cabinet for now. I'll make one to my specs (or more likely have one made) that simulates the cosmetics of a SLO.

Note the spare area surrounding the stock transformers. There's no PCB under them, so swapping different iron is easy mechanically (plus the boards are on standoffs). In the past I wouldn't consider anything not turret or point-to-point for a mod platform, but this should be good to go.

Attachments

• IMG_4934.JPG
    IMG_4934.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Thinking this through further, I'm going to back up, follow the advice of @merlin and keep the power supply voltages the way they are. I was planning a SLO preamp (only) in another chassis, and I can run the output of that into the power amp section of this amp and compare things/adjust and so forth.

(edit: part of the reason why is that the other 3 tube types that are part of the 6973 "family" are happy with significantly less plate voltages. I'm not stuck on the 6973 specifically and this will give options. Plus I don't care about maxing out the power output - this is an effects box, after all ;) )

It's not gonna be a SLO clone for multiple reasons, so it doesn't have to be perfect. Just ballpark and I'm a happy camper.

Last edited:
Back