Hammertone Paint that doesn't look awful?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had good results with the Rust-Oleum rattle cans believe it or not.
From the pictures and videos I've seen they look a little flat; better than nothing but not really anything like the dramatic hammered finish you see on old gear. The closest I've seen was Molten Metallics by Benjamin Moore, but that's discontinued now, RIP. It also had an obnoxious gloss; the older hammertones are closer to matte.

The MV4056 microphone pre amplifier really has a nice texture. I would also be interested to know where you would get something like that today.

Everything you get today is much finer and more uniformly structured. Here are some examples of renovated old GDR mopeds, which originally also had "Hammerschlag" paint (but was original much finer than the mic pre as well).

Hammerschlaglack.jpgHammerschlaglack3.jpg
this one is original:
Hammerschlaglack2.jpg
The paint of the MV4056 amp is very special, the texture is reminiscent of a shell inside. Very nice! However, the appearance is different over the time. I think they have changed the paint several times in production.
sdosz98lvlpgyfigtzjc.jpg

Last edited:
Molten Metallics by Benjamin Moore
Looks like they have some here... Interesting. May have to grab some. I see the recommended spray tip for an airless is a .017 or .021. That's huge for heavy paints and puts out a ton. That Rustoleum stuff really has a more dramatic effect when you're spraying close and loading it up iirc but can't totally remember. I was initially a little surprised to see the product videos online not showing that so maybe.
https://store.southernpaintandsupply.com/benjamin-moore-molten-metallics-quart/#description

Last edited:
They're all out of stock. Thinking of just sanding down the anodization on my frontpanel and polishing it to a flat gloss.

I've used Hammerite brand rattle cans in several different colors on untold numbers of projects; it always works great. Like Scott said, the texture is more dramatic if you first dust on an extremely light coat that barely covers the surface, allow it to dry for several hours, and then spray a really wet coat close up. I've also used bulk Rustoleum through a spray gun, with excellent results. Although, the Hammerite does seem to be slightly more textured than the Rustoleum.

On a slightly different topic: if you have an old toaster oven or something similar, set it to very low heat and place your item in it after spraying wrinkle-texture paint. Wrinkle paint often won't wrinkle and texture properly, but slightly warming the panel first and then heating it post-spray will make it perform properly every time.

Back