Hammond B3 - Should I add a fuse?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdurango

I just had a little adventure with a decomposing AC mains cord in my B3 and some magic bangy poppy sounds. Replacing the cord, I feel like I should add a fuse. I'm thinking inline bus fuse hiding inside the little power/leslie connector box at the bottom, this will retain a stock look, but still easy access to replace a blown fuse.

- Assuming this is the best option (???) - what value fuse? Assume a B3 rockin out with a Leslie and a tone cabinet simultaneously. I feel like a 6 amp slo blow would do the trick. Of course I could also measure current draw with everything cranked up.....hmmmm.

- Should I put fuses on the xformer outputs also? If so, again, what values?

Or just leave it stock like God and Laurens Hammond intended?

Thanks fellas!

Imho it's always better to technically assess and add whatever additional protection you can, given that new and better forms of protection are available now that weren't available then. But unless you can do a technical assessment yourself, and add additional parts yourself, then you are stuck. Even if you can find details on a restoration then you are still stuck with having to implement changes yourself and doing that safely.

To add fusing you need to be able to measure existing mains current to each transformer or section, and see if that current level can increase for some worst-case use situation. Then you have to assess what happens at mains power on, or if moving location (where mains voltage may be different) or changing parts. Then you need to identify what fuses/rating you can buy - especially if they are UL or IEC compliant.

Including transformer secondary side fusing, such as for windings that power B+, is another level of complexity.

There are articles etc available to assist you if you were keen.

Latest posts

Back