hamtone w/EQ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al_p

i was thinking the other day about incorporating a simple passive EQ circuit inbetween the 2 gain stages of the hamptone pre, but don't really know where to begin. well i guess something like a pultec MEQ-5. something simple. any thoughts or pointers on this? for me it seems like the JFPs have plenty of gain. i'm never really have the gain set past 25%, unless i'm doing the distorto thing. how 'lossy' is a EQ like that? would we be talking about a 3rd stage?

my main motivation for this is for use as a DI for bass. it's great for me, but i find myself wanting to tweak the mids sometimes, and maybe the low.

while we're on the JPFs, i added an output control inbetween the 2nd stage output and the output transformer. is this cool? or am i disturbing impedances or something?

I'm trying to remember the schematic from memory, so please bear with me...

If I recall correctly, the Hamptone J-FET Pre has a feedback loop. If so, you could put your EQ elements within the loop, with some controls for switching them in and out.

I am probably completely wrong about this, though. I'd need to see the schem.

How 'bout putting a Baxandall circuit in there to provide hi/lo shelving? Neve used this type of circuit for the hi/lo shelving in all their old stuff. You could even use some of Neve's frequency choices (say, 60Hz and 110Hz switchable on the low and 10k and 12k for the hi? :cool: ).

You could even add the amp circuit from the B184 card (I think that's the one) to drive it, which should be pretty simple, since it runs on the same single-ended 24VDC as the Hamptone preamp.

I've thought about doing exactly this a couple of times before, but haven't yet made the time to figure it all out. :roll:

JC

Latest posts

Back