Hard time sourcing electrolytic capacitors - Canada - Help

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GussyLoveridge

GDIY Supporter
Friends, I'm having a hard time finding electrolytic caps for a few projects I'm working on - long lead times, minimum quantities. I'm generally looking from Mouser and Digikey. I'm wondering if you have any suggestions of other places to look? I'm in Canada, but not totally opposed to paying a few extra bucks for shipping. Any places I should really avoid?

Are you looking for really SO specific capacitances / voltages / (whatever other parameters you require), that the "big boys" can't help with?

Friends, I'm having a hard time finding electrolytic caps for a few projects I'm working on - long lead times, minimum quantities. I'm generally looking from Mouser and Digikey. I'm wondering if you have any suggestions of other places to look? I'm in Canada,

Post here the caps that you need, value and voltage, and we can help you out

I ordered a bunch of common value ufd/ voltage value caps from Digi-Key this summer and had no problems in the US

Have you looked at Tayda electronics. Good for some parts especial guitar pedal parts

Even using Mouser I have always been able to find replacements for any caps in any BOM I have ever built. You might have to go to Panasonic or Wurth Elektronik or Kemet, but those are acceptable replacement brands for Lytics. Every once in a while when I need a special big can cap to replace a very specific cap, like some of the PSU caps in my 1988 Carver home stereo, I have to go to another vendor like Digikey. Mouser will have everything you need if you know how to use their "SHOW SIMILAR" tool.

Last edited:
Even something I thought would be totally ubiquitous such as a 10uF 100V radial 5 mm lead spacing, 10mm diameter lytic I'm having trouble finding stock for. I'm trying to fill out a BOM for Ian Thompson Bell's Lunch Box External PSU V2. I was even not finding stock through mouser for very basic parts. Can't find the right lead spacing for some items. I understand that the diameters don't matter too too much as long as they're going to fit and/or aren't crowding other components (like lytics next to items dissipating lots of heat?)

Another example is 22,000 uF 25V Radial 10mm lead spacing 35mm diameter.

I get the feeling I'm just doing it wrong?

I am just going through the menus on Mouser and drilling down through the filters for what I need and trying to keep it pretty basic. I'm not knowledgeable enough to really get picky about brands of capacitors or anything like that. I have been ordering from Mouser and Digikey with great results for many years.

In no way do I want this to come across as me slagging either of those companies either.

Y'know, if the diameter fits, and a (potentially) larger height doesn't bother you, you CAN try to go for the same value in a higher voltage rating, if the exact one you're looking for isn't in stock.

https://www.mouser.fi/c/passive-com...adial-leaded|~Voltage Rating DC|~Manufacturer
Plenty of 160V and 200V versions of 10uF in 10mm cans with 5mm lead pitch. I also took the liberty to filter the few brands i trust (which happen to all be Japanese).

https://www.mouser.fi/c/passive-com...tors-snap-in|~Voltage Rating DC|~Manufacturer
And here's the 22000uF @ 25V (and up), in 35mm diameter (and below) cans. Several hundreds enough for ya? 😁 (y)

Last edited:
Even something I thought would be totally ubiquitous such as a 10uF 100V radial 5 mm lead spacing, 10mm diameter lytic I'm having trouble finding stock for.

There's 58 results in stock in Mouser, I really don't see the problem:

https://www.mouser.ca/c/passive-com...&voltage rating dc=100 VDC|~125 VDC&instock=y
As far as Electrolytic capacitors the legs are very flexible, so a 5mm lead spacing will fit in a 10 mm hole spacing, and a 10mm lead spacing will fit on a 5mm holes

Another example is 22,000 uF 25V Radial 10mm lead spacing 35mm diameter.

2 results for that, smaller diameter than 35mm which is completely fine and also the lead spacing will fit quite well:

https://www.mouser.ca/c/passive-com...yle=Radial&voltage rating dc=25 VDC&instock=y

If a very specific search doesn't turn up any results, it helps to start over and cast a wider net. Usually there are only a few specs that need to be matched exactly, pitch or height for instance, the parts need to physically fit. After you determine and select those critical values, start selecting ranges. If you need a 100 volt cap, select all voltages above that minimum 100 volts, etc. I like to select for one or two criteria at a time, from most to least important, and then click "show results," that'll whittle away a bunch of products and you start to see things that are closer to what you need. I find digikey's search is a bit better than mouser's

If a very specific search doesn't turn up any results, it helps to start over and cast a wider net. Usually there are only a few specs that need to be matched exactly, pitch or height for instance, the parts need to physically fit. After you determine and select those critical values, start selecting ranges. If you need a 100 volt cap, select all voltages above that minimum 100 volts, etc. I like to select for one or two criteria at a time, from most to least important, and then click "show results," that'll whittle away a bunch of products and you start to see things that are closer to what you need. I find digikey's search is a bit better than mouser's
Y'know, if the diameter fits, and a (potentially) larger height doesn't bother you, you CAN try to go for the same value in a higher voltage rating, if the exact one you're looking for isn't in stock.

https://www.mouser.fi/c/passive-com...adial-leaded|~Voltage Rating DC|~Manufacturer
Plenty of 160V and 200V versions of 10uF in 10mm cans with 5mm lead pitch. I also took the liberty to filter the few brands i trust (which happen to all be Japanese).

https://www.mouser.fi/c/passive-com...tors-snap-in|~Voltage Rating DC|~Manufacturer
And here's the 22000uF @ 25V (and up), in 35mm diameter (and below) cans. Several hundreds enough for ya? 😁 (y)

Yes.

Latest posts

Back