has anyone here build a 8 way gtrsplitter?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony dB

Worked with a very nice guy in Amsterdam yesterday who seems a gearslut such as myself :grin:

He showed me a box build by a guy from Compass Point Studios (Bahamas) where you have 1 gtr intree and 2 times 8 to gtramp out!
All with groundlift, phasereverse etc...
Very cool toy.

Wouldn't mind in building such a thing. Any of you could help me out with something like this?

Cheers,

Tony, the gearslut anonymous founder

Here is one one on the cheap from Geofex.

http://geofex.com/FX_images/splitter.gif

The Mouser transformers are cheap (in a bad way). You might want to try subing with the new Edcor transformers. http://www.edcorusa.com/transformers/audio/pc/pc10k-10k.htm Cheap (in a good way). US $5.13

Cheers,

elco

check these guys out... they are awesome
http://www.radialeng.com/di-jd7.htm

Eight out :roll: :shock: :!: :?: :grin: :roll: :shock:

as in one output for each string and two spares ?!
Eh, no, you'd need more inputs.

Well, eight, ehh, at least it sounds like a nice amount of possibilities. :wink:

Cool ideas but all transformer = expensive.
I used a 5534 at a little above unity gain and then straight in to the amps. Most of the time the amps and boxes will be earthed together, so no need for expensive iron.
It was pretty transpasrent. Used four AA batteries that will last forever. Portable, just lay it on the ground next to all your stomp boxes.
You can drive a hundread marshalls with one 5534!

Now, if we could just get these stompbox guys like Fuller and Boss to use the same dang voltage and polarity on their boxes....
Drives me nuts! 24 ac wall wart for the Dejavibe, 9 volt tip pos for the Boss, 9 volt tip neg for the Fulldrive 2, makes powering multiple boxes a noisy nightmare and forces me to unscrew base plates to replace batteries all the time.
:mad:

Tony,

Get some Cinemag transformers or Lundalhs, equivalent to the one on Jensen datasheet and use their schematic.

I used a 5534 at a little above unity gain and then straight in to the amps.
I can´t believe CJ told that! :)

cheers!
Fabio

I know, I know, I am allergic to chips but we all gotta bite the bullet sometime.
Sac-religious! I put a tube socket on the top with a X7 and led just to make me think....
Oh, and the no iron part! Yes, I know, but I don't want the splitter to add or subtract the delicate tone of all my 58/59 les pauls and 53 esquires!
:razz:

I would go with chips for this also, to save the iron to micpres... :green:
My tone is sooo dirty that doesn´t make any difference...

:sam: :sam: :sam:
cheers!

[quote author="Bauman"]I can´t believe CJ told that!
[/quote]

:green: :green: :green:

sometimes ... a guy's gotta do what a guys's gotta do

more stylish might be a FET input with multiple outs BUT when you just have to drive 8 Marshals then you get there the best way you can ...

PLAY IT LOAD .... O.K. !

[quote author="Bauman"]I can´t believe CJ told that!
[/quote]

:green: :green: :green:

sometimes ... a guy's gotta do what a guys's gotta do

more stylish might be a FET input with multiple outs BUT when you just have to drive 8 Marshals then you get there the best way you can ...

PLAY IT LOAD .... O.K. !

i was reading Sharped Dressed Men, the ZZ Top story the other day,
They used to run three 100 watt Marshalls a piece.
One time they played this rathole gig in El Paso. It was one of those corrugated tin shacks with a cement floor and a 8 foot stage in front of the bathrooms, so the patroons had to walk thru the band to answer natures call!
And it was minus forty and the heater didn't work!
Anyway, the guy said it sounded like nuclear fission when they launched Thunderbird!

50 people at the gig, and someone stole the money at the end of the show!
rough times, but ya gotta pay yo dues!
:guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :sam: :sam: :sam:

Sorry CJ, but I gotta pick at you...
[quote author="cjenrick"]They used to run three 100 watt Marshalls a piece.[/quote]Even the drummer? :razz::razz::razz::razz:
One time they played this rathole gig in El Paso...And it was minus forty and the heater didn't work!
This doesn't quite add up...think about it...minus 40F (which actually converts to minus 40C!) in El Paso? It must have been the one and only time it hit -40 there. And the heater prolly didn't work cause they didn't own one!

Peace!
Charlie

Rube traded his stacks for the big H!

Well, the guy said that the tin building and concrete floor made seem colder inside the shed than out!
They had a heater and the club owner was working on it when they got there but couldn't get it going.

I't's quite an entertaining book, written by an ex roadie. David Blaney, I believe.

Then there was the gig for the college students on New Years Eve in a dry county at a Mexican buffet. The had to set up next to the food counter and smell these "cardboard enchilladas" all night! Sheesh, new years and no booze!

Then there was the time they played an Airforce armory with a total of one paying customer, they did the full set of course and bought the kid a coke durring a break.

Then there was the time....

:razz:

billy g is playing on the new queens record...

Im not going to publish my opinion on that, but its interesting information.

dave

thank guys for shining in ...
i wouldn't mind the iron costs as i'm known for being anal in search of the Holy gtr Tone :twisted:
Especially with Edcors being not expensive at all, and they do sound nice!
Cinemag is great too, i might want to get different colors from this box so different iron can only mean a good thing here...

As the build by the Compass Point Tech is housed in a small 1" rack only 10 or 12 centimeter deep, i think he's using 5532's or fets to get the job done.

I'll ask the owner to have the courage to open this box and hopefully take some pictures. Not to rip the design but to understand how much it really matters to have iron or discrete stuff in there as the owner seems VERY happy with and he is wellknown for gtr productions...

I am located about 3 hours driving away from him (and 3 hours back- traffic is HELL in this part of Europe),
if not i was already at his doorstep :grin:

I guess i take Fabio's advice and do the Jensen design with 2 jensen, 2 cinemags, 2 lundhall and 2 edcors. Would be interesting enough for me.

But first i have some G9's and API's to finish :grin:
Winter is coming, long evenings etc... soldersmell is in the air :wink:

Back