Build gear (rather than using it) to produce music...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roofRob

Hey guys,

... as read in a few places: long-time lurker here.
I was pulled into DIY mainly because I wanted to trade my guitar playing for solder skillz.
It then so happened to allow me toying around with cool knobs and buttons rather then wasting time practising my stringed instruments.
Or start learning to play keyed instruments.
Or even translate knee-drumming to a real set...

I have always been that guy to handle and nerd about recording and live engineering for my highschool bands- without ever getting past a decent mid-amateurish level.
Nowadays, after having studied media technology and drifting apart to far away places in software engineering, I'm increasingly trying to sit beneath my accumulated gear to produce actual music from my attic studio- which is increasingly harder to do, because I'm missing out on practice hours and rehearsals...

Here I am to sit beside the cool kids and watch how things are done.

Great place, thanks for having me!

Stuff I already built:
Sound Skulptor MP573, MP512
DIY RE Colour Palettes and some colours, OLA 5, L2P, SB2
Sub-D Snakes
Guitar Pedals: TubeScreamer clone, BE-OD clone

Stuff I'm looking forward to building (anyone selling kits?):
Don Classics U76a
JLM LA500A

Last edited:
Hi Rob, welcome to groupdiy!

You definitely need more equipment. That's the only way you can really make music. Only when you can handle a live recording session of the Rolling Stones +tour band (with your DIY stuff) than you are ready for your own music.
Practicing instruments is overrated. For creativity there is this pedal. (I have the schematic)

a169c01fcd25dbc34f15a6e46ba015d7--distortion-guitar-distortion-pedal.jpg

Sorry for being sarcastic, I'm just reflecting on my own career.😅

Have fun on Groupdiy.com 👍

Hey Rock,

thanks, I much appreciate sarcasm, but I didn‘t spend much time practising using it myself- busy being busy, you know…
I feel like I‘m in the right spot to climb up the hill aaaaall the way to the Stones- might be they won‘t be there anymore by the time I get there, though.
Well, I‘d better get going- also need to learn how to build a guitar- or else I might end up having to play bought ones. That really wouldn‘t be boutique…

Back