Hello all!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhuparty

Hi there my name is Alex! I am a musician from NYC. I recently got into repairing and restoring my own recording equipment. My 3 major projects have been:

1. Restoring my 1976-ish tweed console 12x4. Recapped it completely with nichion gold caps, and rechipped the whole desk. I also made necessary changes such as upgrading the switches in my monitoring section, changed every LED, replaced any female connectors, etc etc. I even rebuilt the PSU, upgraded the regulator chips, caps, and bridge rectifiers. it’s a wonderful console. After about a year of its restoration it has not had a single issue.

2. Restoring my DBX 165A. There was a cold joint on one of the VCA legs so it would not properly compress. Took a minute to sniff out the issue, recapped and rechipped in the process.

3. Restored my 1972 EMS Synthi A lovingly nicknamed TIM. It was used to create the AI, TIM‘s, voice for the show ‘the tomorrow people’ a 70’s sci-fi show in the UK. I changed pretty much every component. Every trimmer, rainbow fish cap, electrolytic, rebuilt the PSU, upgraded the resistors to ceramics or higher wattage to sustain hear, tempo resistors, factory matched transistors, etc etc. i even designed a push pull knob system to automatically snap the synthi’s tuning to 1v/ oct. (synthi’s octave scaling/ tuning is very strange and impossible to tune if you’re playing live in the moment)

Thank you for allowing me to join groupdiy. Here are some photos of my projects :)

Attachments

• BD6B2E54-E8FE-4A5C-BDFB-0456E76D2B74.jpeg
    BD6B2E54-E8FE-4A5C-BDFB-0456E76D2B74.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 63DFC066-545C-452E-BE7C-F41DDEAD4ECE.jpeg
    63DFC066-545C-452E-BE7C-F41DDEAD4ECE.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
  • DE57EA24-1282-4D70-AC9A-D623EE186B29.jpeg
    DE57EA24-1282-4D70-AC9A-D623EE186B29.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
You are lucky to have a Tweed console. There seems to be very few of them left.

Cheers

ian
Yes i am very very fortunate. And i have a matching set of 4 comps/ limiters. Geoff tanner told me these were designed by david rees. It means a lot to me you replied ian! It is a magical beast; her name is tabitha. :) supposedly the console was at trident studios where it acquired the nickname. Then my friend gavin at magic garden recording in wolverhampton owned it from the mid 80’s until he sold it to me in 2020. I love this desk!!! It’s such a compact size for having the amount of facilities it has.

Latest posts

Back