Hello from Tim at Acoustic Sciences

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASC_Tim

Hi! Besides selling acoustics, I'm a DIY speaker builder. I like horns especially, although I'm open to every kind of transducer. I spent a few years helping a friend of mine design and build some big corner horn speakers, which I've been using ever since. Lately my big area of interest with speakers is inter-aural crosstalk reduction, and I'm currently using a setup that I think I came up with which involves 3 speakers right next to each other that play mixed signals as follows; L-R,L+R,R-L. I think this sounds great, but not many other people have heard this setup so I can't say if most people will find it great. This ties in to my corner horn speakers, which were always supposed to have some kind of center channel. My friend passed away a few years ago, so never got to hear my current implementation, which uses my 3 speaker array in the center from 900Hz and higher, while the main corner horns do standard 2 speaker stereo from 900 Hz and down.

I work at Acoustic Sciences Corporation, seller of the ASC TubeTrap. My area of focus at ASC is HiFi and Home Theater setups, but I get to be involved in some studio acoustics, church, office, home, gymnasiums, and other areas where sound treatment is often needed. It's all fascinating to me. I'm all for good sounding spaces.

My other big thing in life is bicycling. I do a lot of gravel biking. Not racing, although whenever I go out with my friends we always know who's riding strongest that day, and talk about it. I like hiking too, mostly doing local trails around my house. Another area of interest for me is nutrition, which seems to be as fraught with uncertainty as audio is.

Hi ASC_Tim! Welcome to a fine site with a lot of great builders. Am I correct in thinking your speaker arrangement is Mid-Side? That's what we would call it (or similar) in microphone techniques, AKA "Sum and Difference." In addition to this site you might already be aware of https://www.diyaudio.com/community/. They share similar interests. In any case, I'm sure you'll have a great time here.

Hi ASC_Tim! Welcome to a fine site with a lot of great builders. Am I correct in thinking your speaker arrangement is Mid-Side? That's what we would call it (or similar) in microphone techniques, AKA "Sum and Difference." In addition to this site you might already be aware of https://www.diyaudio.com/community/. They share similar interests. In any case, I'm sure you'll have a great time here.
Hi Barry,

Thanks for the welcome! I'm surprised that I overlooked this forum for so long. Yes, I think mid-side describes it pretty well. A playback arrangement instead of a microphone arrangement. I have posted about this setup over at www.diyaudio.com. It seems like this site is more focused on electronic DIY, which is an area I haven't done much at all in. I am interested in potentially making an analog mixer that would take a L, R stereo input and output L+R, L-R, R-L, along with L, R, and high pass and low pass filters for each channel. I'm sure there are products that already do that, but it'd be fun to make one just for the cause. It's not clear that there's any advantage to that over doing it in the digital domain like I do now, but at least it would get the computer out of my audio chain, which would make turning it on a lot easier for people other than myself.

Hi! Besides selling acoustics, I'm a DIY speaker builder. I like horns especially, although I'm open to every kind of transducer. I spent a few years helping a friend of mine design and build some big corner horn speakers, which I've been using ever since. Lately my big area of interest with speakers is inter-aural crosstalk reduction, and I'm currently using a setup that I think I came up with which involves 3 speakers right next to each other that play mixed signals as follows; L-R,L+R,R-L. I think this sounds great, but not many other people have heard this setup so I can't say if most people will find it great. This ties in to my corner horn speakers, which were always supposed to have some kind of center channel. My friend passed away a few years ago, so never got to hear my current implementation, which uses my 3 speaker array in the center from 900Hz and higher, while the main corner horns do standard 2 speaker stereo from 900 Hz and down.

I work at Acoustic Sciences Corporation, seller of the ASC TubeTrap. My area of focus at ASC is HiFi and Home Theater setups, but I get to be involved in some studio acoustics, church, office, home, gymnasiums, and other areas where sound treatment is often needed. It's all fascinating to me. I'm all for good sounding spaces.

My other big thing in life is bicycling. I do a lot of gravel biking. Not racing, although whenever I go out with my friends we always know who's riding strongest that day, and talk about it. I like hiking too, mostly doing local trails around my house. Another area of interest for me is nutrition, which seems to be as fraught with uncertainty as audio is.
Welcome to the groupdiy!✨

Back