Help designing PSU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyscotch

Hey gang!

Hopefully someone can help me out with this.

I'm helping a friend design a "robot suit" for their performers to wear at corporate events. I'm mainly helping with the audio/playback side, and we have the components for that pretty much figured out. Also, they are going to be using batteries, but the power ideas are really rough, so I'm trying to design a simple/small PSU to spit out different voltages for the components.

The batteries are 6v, 3.5a. There are 4 of them total, with two "pairs" running in parallel so basically they can have a redundant 12v supply in case one is lost, they don't lose power altogether.

The components are: 12v power amp driving the speakers. 12v sampler/playback unit. EQ pedal 9v. Rolls mini line mixer 12v. and some kind of music playback that hasn't been determined yet, probably iPod touch or similar.

So I guess I need a very small footprint PSU that can take the redundant 12v supplies and give us 5-6 taps at a few different voltages. Or can we use just a few taps and plug all the 12v stuff into one, 9v into one and then maybe an extra one for LEDs/etc.....??

I am not an electronics guy, but I have done a few DIY projects from these boards and thought I could probably pull this off. I just want to make them something streamlined and efficient for the batteries sake.
Can we make a generic PSU for the input voltage with trimmer resistors for the output taps, like the 51x PSU?? (if indeed I understand that correctly, which I probably don't, LOL)
Or would something like JLM stuff work for this?? It's reasonably small.

thanks!

Eric

Here's a rough sketch of what we need:

Block-Dia.jpg

The PSU would need to be as small as possible to fit inside the suit, and with heatsinks so it doesn't burn the performer. And as I said before, the battery pairs would be a redundant 12v.

We're not sure about the particular music player, probably an iPod of some variety. And the sampler is another issue, might make an iPad work, or maybe not, but something in that arena........

Thanks!!

Back