Help me understand - 500 chassis and 500 module issue/fault - disappeared?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So about a month ago I was using a Lazpro 500 EQN in a mercury D series 500 chassis (XLR version). I was switching the high pass filter and noticed an intermittent crackling sound, so thinking it was just some dust or dirt in the pot I moved it back and forth, eventually the module seemed to die and the audio fizzled out, I took it out and put another module in the same slot, the audio fizzled out and seemed to fry the module.

It stopped passing audio completely so I thought that maybe it just needed reseating, I decided to try another module (another lazpro EQN) on the same slot and the module also seemed to die and stopped passing audio.

I started panic trouble shooting and put them in another chassis (heritage audio OST 6 v2)....no dice... and the heritage rack stopped working on the 2 slots I used, I pulled them out and put another pair of modules into the heritage audio OST (Phoenix audio DRS EQ) these modules also died. Then I powered the mercury rack back on and it started to whine and make a weird sound, like some components were failing, the same thing started happening to the Heritage audio 500 rack. Everything all of a sudden started malfunctioning.

I then tried a few different modules in more slots. Bare in mind that I didn't realise that a faulty module could damage a power supply rack and vice versa. Two of these modules that seemed to give me the worst outcome was a couple of phoenix audio DRS EQ's. Also an IGS rubberbands stereo EQ stopped working properly after I put it in the mercury 500 rack, the audio it passed was very thin and fizzy.

I ended up taking them to someone reliable, well known and respected in the DIY audio/500 business. The next day he phoned me up and said "there's nothing wrong with anything, it all works.

Over the next few weeks he powered them on and off, passed audio through them and checked everything was working. He had the two racks and 6 modules for a few weeks while I asked him to run a few more tests, he had a jig to connect modules to which he used for his own builds.

Eventually he came to the conclusion that the front panel of the Lazpro EQN was a little bit too thick for the racks I was using it in causing it not to seat properly in the slot as he tried the module in an API rack and there were no issues, I guess this manifested itself in the EQN fizzling out after I was sweeping the high pass filter.

Now I have them all back in my possession, I filled up the heritage audio OST 6 with 5 EQ's and a mic pre and ran a miked up guitar amp through the pre and all the EQ's. Everything works EXCEPT the two phoenix audio DRS EQ's, neither of them pass audio but they light up but im guessing one of the three op-amps is faulty.

But both the racks have no issues, I still need to test every slot on the mercury rack myself but I was reassured that they were all tested and nothing was wrong with it.

TLDR: Fried 2 chassis and 6 modules to the point of them making horrible high pitched whining sounds when powered on and the modules wouldnt pass audio, took them to be repaired and no issue was found.

So help me understand what might have happened? Why did my racks stop working and why are they now working?

Last edited:
My only logical guess could be that I unplugged everything and didn't use it, some of the components in the modules and racks had a tolerance threshold for when a fault occurs and once everything cooled down the components started functioning properly....

Anyone got any insight or idea?

Latest posts

Back