Help needed - Why is it only working in Omni?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narcolepzzz

Newbie here. I'm trying to drop a JLI-86u into a takstar tak55. At first it was working fine. Then it was horribly noisy in cardioid and fig8, but fine in Omni. The pattern switch soon stopped doing anything. Is there a likely issue here, and how do I test for it?

I felt like there was a bad ground joint, so I re-did that, but nothing changed. Could I have permanently ruined the capsule by using it while poorly grounded?

Newbie here. I'm trying to drop a JLI-86u into a takstar tak55. At first it was working fine. Then it was horribly noisy in cardioid and fig8, but fine in Omni. The pattern switch soon stopped doing anything. Is there a likely issue here, and how do I test for it?

I felt like there was a bad ground joint, so I re-did that, but nothing changed. Could I have permanently ruined the capsule by using it while poorly grounded?
It would be very useful to post some relevant pictures with good resolution.
As a general rule, before modifying anything you must take detailed pictures of the stock, original product.

This was it. Thanks!

For anyone wondering, JLI support was excellent. They responded in under two hours and are sending a replacement.
Excellent!
Did you measure with DMM between the two diaphragms, what does it indicate, short circuit or a small variable resistance?
Did you return the capsule?
If not, you can fix it.

Excellent!
Did you measure with DMM between the two diaphragms, what does it indicate, short circuit or a small variable resistance?
Did you return the capsule?
If not, you can fix it.
Honest question, how is a small resistance different than a short in this context? How would each show up on the dmm?

They haven't asked for it back, so fixing it is definitely on the table. Any resources and tools you'd recommend before I try?

Attachments

• PXL_20240626_064240959.jpg
    PXL_20240626_064240959.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
In short: a variable resistance is different from a permanent short circuit. It seems that you are in the second case.
Did you also measure the resistance between the blue wires from the backplate and between them and the white ones from the diaphragms?

Latest posts

Back